Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Review: The Throne of Fire

The Throne of Fire
By Rick Riordan
Published: May 3, 2011

My review:

The Throne of Fire is the sequel to The Red Pyramid, which first introduced Carter and Sadie Kane and their involvement/connection with the Egyptian gods. In months between this book and The Red Pyramid, they have been training new initiates at Brooklyn House and the book opens with them trying to find a way to reawaken Ra. This dangerous and foolhardy quest is their best chance to stop the Chaos snake Apophis from rising and swallowing the sun (thus destroying the world). In addition to his minions, Carter and Sadie also have to deal with the threat of Michel Desjardins.

The Throne of Fire has a lot of action and introduces some new important characters such as teen magician Walt Stone and the Egyptian god of fear, Bes. One of my favorite things about this book was Bes. He is quite a character (though I wouldn't want to see him get his ugly on!).   I enjoyed getting to know more about Egyptian mythology and Ra as well as all the humor. There is also quite a bit of romance as Carter tries to connect with Zia and Sadie deals with mixed feelings about Walt and Anubis. Thankfully that is not the main focus of the book. 

Carter and Sadie both experience character growth as they realize that their decisions and actions have consequences and they begin to see the sacrifices they will have to make to succeed. Carter especially deals with doubts over what is the right thing to do. I found this to be a solid sequel to The Red Pyramid and it does a good job of setting up the final book in the trilogy, The Serpent's Shadow.

2 comments:

  1. Although I saw The Red Pyramid around when it first came out, somehow I didn't quite put it together that it was about Egyptian mythology as I was only familiar with Riordan's Greek mythology series. I'm looking to read more MG and this is definitely one of the series I will be considering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome review! i'm so late in reading these books.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!