Thursday, November 11, 2010

Review: Nevermore

Nevermore
By Kelly Creagh
Publication date: August 2010

My review:

When Isobel Lanley is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project she is less than pleased. She is a popular cheerleader and her boyfriend and friends consider Varen a goth freak.  Varen likewise views Isobel as shallow but as they are forced to work together, they grudgingly become friends.  This new friendship is put to the test however when her parents and friends disapprove and then strange things begin to happen. Are the creatures she sees just a figment of Isobel's imagination or does it have something to do with Varen and their project on Edgar Allan Poe?


Nevermore reimagines the fate of Edgar Allan Poe and the inspiration for his stories in this unusual and haunting paranormal romance.  I enjoyed the creepy atmosphere and suspense as much as the growing romance between Varen and Isobel. I also loved the use of Poe's poetry and short stories throughout the book, particularly The Masque of the Red Death. Varen is not the typical paranormal "hero". It is not usual to make the male romantic interest the victim of bullying. The combination of the paranormal storyline with the high school bullying/popularity storyline makes this book unique. 


Nevermore is a standout paranormal debut novel and I can't wait for the sequel. I would suggest this book to fans of the Caster Chronicles by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl as well as to those who enjoy Edgar Allan Poe. 


Readalikes: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl,  Lament by Maggie Stiefvater, Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough, A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, Juliet Marillier



5 comments:

  1. Great review! I am glad you enjoyed this one. I have a copy of this on my Nook and I can't wait to read it; plus, I love POE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Christina, SO glad you enjoyed this one!
    Good point about Varen and how love interests usually don't have to deal with bullying - it was cool how he was sexy and still vulnerable at the same time :D
    And I know, it's way too long to have to wait for a sequel!! Ugghh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific review Christina, This was a fascinating book and one that I really enjoyed. I am anxious to see what will happen in the next book too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is in my TBR pile... just need the time to read it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I already planned to read it, but now I'll have to get to it sooner :) I loved BC & Once a Witch!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!