Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Review: Low Red Moon

Low Red Moon
By Ivy Devlin
Publication date: September 14, 2010

My review:

This modern retelling of Little Red Riding Hood tells the story of Avery Hood who witnessed the brutal murder of her parents but can't remember what happened. When she meets Ben, the new student at her school, he seems to understand her and they connect in unexpected ways. Then Avery finds out Ben's secret and she fears that he may be involved in her parents' deaths.  

Avery's family issues and the unusual way she grew up in the woods added some depth to the story. Her grief over the loss of her parents, her home, and the refuge of the woods felt very real to me. The romance between Ben and Avery develops very quickly but their intense bond is explained later in the book. I think there is a lot more to Ben's story so hopefully that will be explored in the next book. One of my favorite characters is Avery's grandmother. She is quirky, fiercely protective of Avery, and she does her best to be there for her granddaughter even though things are strained between them. I liked how the dynamics of her relationship to Avery and her late son were explored. The woods were also a character in the novel and they definitely added a presence of mystery to the story.

Low Red Moon was not quite what I expected. It is not a strict retelling of Little Red Riding Hood but I liked the twist on the original story. I also liked the suspense plotline though I did figure out who the killer was early in the book. This is the second retelling of Little Red Riding Hood to be published this year. I think the wolf lore and the romance would appeal to fans of Maggie Stiefvater. Ivy Devlin is the psuedonym of a well known YA author making her foray into the paranormal genre. I am looking forward to her next book.

Readalikes: The Wolves of Mercy Falls series by Maggie Stiefvater, Scarlet Moon by Debbie Viguie, 13 to Life by Shannon Delany

I received a copy of this ARC for review as part of an ARC Tour from Star Book Tours

7 comments:

  1. I didn't know this was a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. I read Sisters Red earlier this year, and didn't really enjoy that one. Is this anything like that?

    Enjoyed your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good read. I like that there are more books coming about werewolves. Gotta love that. I loved the story of Little Red Riding Hood, so I may even try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I really like the sound of this and will definitely pick it up when it's released in the UK next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving the sound of this one, it just sounds so awesome! Plus it'd be fun to read a twist on Little Red Riding Hood. Nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, that is intriguing but not quite sure if it is me.

    You know I can't wait to see if you love Hunger Games like everyone else, except me, lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Christina!
    This book looks really good. Glad you liked it :D Will definitely have to read this in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. I will eventually get this one because I love modern versions of the fairy tales. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!