Thursday, June 17, 2010

Book Beginnings on Friday (14)


Book Beginnings on Friday is a new meme hosted by Becky at Page Turners. Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you'd like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.

I am currently alternating between two books so I thought I'd share sentences from both.

Crazy Beautiful by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

My arm rises toward my face and the pincer touch of cold steel rubs against my jaw. I chose hooks because they were cheaper. I chose hooks because I wouldn't outgrow them so quickly. I chose hooks so that everyone would know I was different, so I would scare even myself.

I love the way this book starts out. Crazy Beautiful is a modern adaptation of Beauty and the Beast. It is told in alternating chapters from the point of view of the main characters, Lucius Wolfe and Aurora Belle. Lucius has hooks for hands after losing them in an explosion when he blew up his parents' home. So far it is really really good.

Toads and Diamonds by Heather Tomlinson

Diribani ran toward the stepwell. Squinting against the glare, she splashed through the road's deep ruts, pink skirts slapping her calves, her long black braid thumping her shoulders.

Toads and Diamonds is also a fairy tale retelling that is set in an alternate historic India. Two stepsisters, Diribani and Tana are both blessed by the goddess Naghali with unusual gifts. Whenever beautiful Diribani speaks, flowers and precious gems drop from her lips but when Tana speaks, frogs and snakes appear. Diribani's gift may seem to be more useful as it can help her family financially (and she gains the attention of a handsome prince) but there are those who would wish her harm. Meanwhile Tana's gift frightens people but it could end up saving them. I am not familiar with the original fairy tale but so far this is an enjoyable book. Plus I love the cover!

4 comments:

  1. Very lyrical passages! Clear visual images are evident in these beginnings...

    Here's mine:

    http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/06/18/book-beginnings-on-friday-9/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That CB opener stops me in my tracks. Awesome beginning.

    Here is my Book Beginning Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been curious about Lauren Baratz-Logsted. Will look forward to seeing what you think when you finish.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!