Saturday, March 20, 2010

Review #26 The Mark

The Mark
By Jen Nadol
Publication date: January 19, 2010
My rating: ****1/2

My review:

Since she was a little girl, Cassie Renfield has been able to see a bright light around certain people. It wasn't until recently that she realized that the bright light or mark as she calls it, means that person is going to die that day. It is a horrifying ability and one she doesn't understand. Is it her responsibility to warn people that they are about to die or to try to prevent it? Would people want to know?

Cassie is a young teen who is being raised by her grandmother after the tragic deaths of her parents when she was a little girl. When she is sent to spend the summer in her father's hometown with an aunt she didn't know she had, Cassie discovers a mystery about her parents that could provide her with some important answers about her abilities. She also meets Lucas, a handsome young man who helps teach a philosophy class at the local college. While taking the class and developing a relationship with Lucas, Cassie tries to decide what to do about her ability. The Mark incorporates Greek mythology, philosophy, and mystery in a moving tale about an unusual young woman who has had to deal with a lifetime of grief.

I didn't find this to be a typical paranormal YA book. I really enjoyed The Mark and I loved the unexpected twists to the story. Cassie is an intelligent character who really grapples with difficult questions, trying to make the right decision. I loved her character and the character of Nan, her grandmother. In a way, The Mark reminded me of a mashup of a Sarah Dessen-type book combined with paranormal elements. Typical of philosophy, there are more questions than answers so I look forward to the sequel to see where Jen Nadol is going to take the story.

7 comments:

  1. Great review! I look forward to reading The Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds good. I'm going to add it to my neverending wishlist. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing this one out to me! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab review - I already had this on my wishlist but after reading this I definitely want to get it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review & totally agree. I too, loved this book, the MC, the philosophy etc!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this book as well and really loved how it was turned into a debate as to what would be the right thing to. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!