Sunday, December 4, 2016

Sunday Post (71) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

Happy December! I am so not ready for Christmas. We haven't even drawn names in my family for our gift exchange yet or even set a date to get together. I am going to try to send out Christmas cards this year so I need to look for those too. Lots to do!

I had a nice Thanksgiving with my family and on Black Friday my mom and I watched all four episodes of Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life. While I liked seeing what everyone in Stars Hollow was up to and there was some good character development for Emily and a little for Lorelai, I was mainly disappointed (Rory, I'm looking at you) and irritated by the final four words (again, Rory). I may have a review post about the series sometime.

This afternoon I visited a friend and we made some no-bake cookies while her husband evaluated my car (he's a mechanic). This week I am going to take my car to my regular mechanic to get the serpentine belt replaced and then look into getting some tires before bad weather hits. I'm really hoping it will hold off till after Christmas. I was happy to find out that the car situation isn't as dire as I'd believed. Aside from the serpentine belt and new tires, the other repairs can wait. I'd like to wait till 2018 to get a new car and that might be possible.

At the library I have my snowman craft night on Tuesday. We have 11 people signed up so far to attend. I'm almost done with my purchases for the year. I am planning to go back to Barnes & Noble on Friday since I still have at least $2,000 to spend in the book budget. I'm also starting to plan programs for January and February. I know I want to bring back the coloring programs and maybe show some movies.



Last week on my blog:

Miracle on 5th Avenue by Sarah Morgan (review)




Books read:





The Gilded Cage by Lucinda Gray

I thought this started out well but I felt a little disappointed in the end. Still it is an page turning novel with a Gothic feel. 



Alterations by Stephanie Scott

This is a contemporary retelling of Sabrina. I liked the modern update though at times I was annoyed with Amelia (because of her lies), I was still rooting for her. I also really liked Liam (based on Linus from the movie).




This was a fun sequel to Sweetshop of Dreams and I liked that it was set at Christmas and included Rosie's nutty family visiting from Australia. 



On Second Thought by Kristan Higgins

Just like with If You Only Knew, this novel is about sisters. Jenny and Leo from If You Only Knew have cameo appearances here too as they live in the same town. This story is about Kate, a recent widow and her half-sister Ainsley, who thought she was getting engaged but instead got dumped. A great story about family relationships and a little romance too. 


The Choices We Make by Karma Brown

I bought this e-book on a whim when it was on sale and I'm glad I did. It was a sad story but still good. Hannah is devastated when she can't have children but her best friend Kate offers to carry a baby for her. 



The Christmas Surprise by Jenny Colgan

This is the third (and final?) book in the Rosie Hopkins series. It was sadder than I'd anticipated but I still liked it and there was a happy ending. I love this series and want to check out the author's other books. She certainly makes rural England sound charming. Lipton is like an English version of Stars Hollow.



Books listened to:



The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan (reread)




Currently reading:


A Daring Sacrifice by Jody Hedlund

This is a YA inspirational fiction novel inspired by Robin Hood but with a twist. Lady Juliana is the bandit and she kind of reminds me of Merida from Brave (not just because of the red hair).


The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien (reread)

I can't believe I waited so many months to pick up the story again. I'm at the very beginning. Pippin and Denethor have just met. I can't help but picture Billy Boyd and John Noble as I read.




Currently listening to:




Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (reread)

Listening to this audiobook is a delight. I love the story but Rachel McAdams does a great job of bringing it to life.



On my TBR pile:


The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon




New books received:





The Christmas Surprise by Jenny Colgan (for review)


The Choices We Make by Karma Brown (purchased)

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (purchased)

Ross Poldark by Winston Groom (purchased)


The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer (library book)

A Daring Sacrifice by Jody Hedlund (library book)


Christmas Joy by Nancy Naigle (library book)

13 comments:

  1. The Gilded Cage has such a gorgeous cover! Glad to hear you enjoyed Karma Brown's book, even though it was sad. I must get to my copy soon. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was disappointed by Rory too. Her lack of direction seemed so unlike her character from 2007 that I sometimes wondered if it was the same person. You recieved a lot of great books this week. I've only read Poldark but I really enjoyed it and hope you do as well. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many people I know had the same opinion about the Gilmore Girls reboot. I have never actually watched an episode of that series--and I was thinking of giving it a try, now I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that Rachel McAdams is narrating Anne of Green Gables, both the author and her are Canadian. I'mm glad she's doing a good job. I'm not much of an audiobook person but I might have to try that out since I've already read the books.
    Have a great week
    Here's my It's Monday! post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have come to enjoy Jenny Colgan books only this year and look forward to catching up on he past books so will keep these in mind. I enjoyed Karma Brown's book although it was sad. Your comments on it reminded me of the read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. I've heard a lot about the Gilmore Girls thing and those controversial "last 4 words." :) I have lots of shopping to do for Christmas but this year I'm going to try and shop online- as much as I can.

    A daring Sacrifice looks like a good one, and yay for Return of the King. I should re- read those at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh! I felt the same way about GG. I was so irritated by Rory and normally I love her. I actually was most interested in Emily Gilmore's storyline! I feel like Rory's story line was just a plot device and completely out of character. :( I look forward to your thoughts on The Sun is Also a Star....I've heard good things. I also hope you get to read Poldark...definitely a fun read, especially if you are a fan of the show. And you can never go wrong with Anne of GG. Did you see the new version on PBS? I DVR'd it and am excited to check it out. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, was very frustrated with those last words in the Gilmore Girls revival, and unless we get another season, it just feels cruel.

    Rory seemed to make a lot of poor choices, but I guess, since she's getting older and is testing her wings, it's to be expected.

    Enjoy your books. I'm curious about the Jenny Colgan books, and have never read this author.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  9. We haven't yet drawn names for our work Secret Santa exchange--and that's the one gift that is keeping me from saying I'm all done. That and any last minute stuff I decide to get--because there always is . . . I am glad you had a nice Thanksgiving! I avoided the crowds on Black Friday too. I am glad the car repairs aren't going to be as extensive as you first thought. I know what a relief that can be! I hope you have a great week! Enjoy your reading and new books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were planning on doing Christmas cards this year too but I don't know if it will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt the same way about The Gilded Cage. It started with such promise and then fizzled out for me. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed On Second Thought as well. I liked that the characters were a bit older and getting a second chance. I am interested in The Chemist. Have fun at the snowman craft night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gilded Cage has such a beautiful cover. I need to watch the Gilmore episodes! STAT. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!