Sunday, October 23, 2016

Sunday Post (66) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

Not much going on this past week though it was cold and rainy. I was a little sad that I had to get my sweaters out of storage so early. I hope we actually have a fall instead of going from warmer weather to an early winter. No snow on the forecast though!

At work I am still trying to figure out what my last program of the year will be. I had thought of doing a cookie exchange but due to the possibility of germs I am considering a craft night instead. I am also working on ideas for a cookbook club I hope to start next year. I am trying to decide what format to use (we all read the same cookbook and make a recipe from it, we use different cookbooks based on a theme like chocolate or comfort food) and when and how often we'll meet. This Friday I'm going to a programming round table so hopefully I'll get some fresh new ideas for next year. 


Last week on my blog:



A Most Novel Revenge by Ashley Weaver (review)



Books read:


A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess

I liked this book though I'd had some misgivings after reading other reviews. It reminded me of The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas which I loved.


Amy Snow by Tracy Rees

This book started off really well and I did like it though I admit I was a bit let down in the end. I liked Amy and thought she was a sweet character who had to deal with a lot of cruelty. I was happy to see her bloom and find happiness though I felt a little let down in the end.


The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman

This series is really interesting and I learned more about magic, the library and various worlds. I can't wait for The Burning Page which is set in an alternate fantasy version of the French Revolution.


Currently reading:


Victoria by Daisy Goodwin

I am really excited about the PBS series coming this January and I find this book to be fascinating. I do think Victoria seems really naive and unprepared for being a queen and at times I found her annoying because of her immature behavior. This book focuses on the very beginning of her reign but I hope the author will write more so we can see how Victoria matures and changes.



Currently listening to:



The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (reread)




On my TBR pile:


Heartless by Marissa Meyer


A Change of Heart by Sonali Dev


All We Have Left by Wendy Mills


New books received:




Alterations by Stephanie Scott (for review) 


A Most Extraordinary Pursuit by Juliana Gray (library book)

The Tea Planter's Wife by Dinah Jefferies (library book)

The Hammer of Thor by Rick Riordan (library book)



16 comments:

  1. A cookbook club sounds really fun! But I think it's probably a good call on the cookie exchange, big risk of germs!

    Laura
    a-reader-lives-a-thousand-lives.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so, so excited for Victoria! I can't wait to read it...hopefully in the next few weeks. I also want to read A Most Extraordinary Pursuit and Heartless. I hope you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cookbook clubs sounds really good. Good luck with getting more ideas ;)
    I can't wait to get my hands on the new Marissa Meyer book.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're starting to get a bit of fall here- it has cooled down and last night it got downright chilly, was at an invitational marching band thing and it got brrrryy! I hope it stays 50's maybe 40's and doesn't get cold cold for a while- but not holding breath.

    I'm glad The Masked City was good, and I didn't know the Burning Page was set in an alternate French revolution. Now I'm even more excited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cookbook club sounds fun. Wish we had something like that around here:) So many lovely books. Looks like you'll have plenty to snuggle in with:)

    My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess Victoria had plenty of time to grow and mature with all her years as a monarch. Let's hope she did. Will be wanting to read the new Sonali Dev when I get a space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good books! I was interested in Amy Snow and Victoria before your thoughts, but still am hoping to get to them sometime. I don't make time for MG books, but Rick Riordan is such a superstar in his fans' eyes that maybe I should make an exception :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have to be pretty careful about food safety in our library programs too, especially with kids - lots of runny noses at this time of year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed Amy Snow, though I thought it was a tad too long. I have have the Tea Planter's Wife on my TBR shelf. Enjoy you new books, they look great!
    Amanda @ Mrs B's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am curious about Amy Snow...and I want to start reading the Daisy Goodwin books.

    All We Have Left is tempting me, too. Enjoy! Have fun with your end-of-year project. Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am bummed the cool weather has come in. I am an 80s type of gal.
    sherry @ fundinmental My Sunday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great assortment of books. I enjoyed A Shadow Bright and Burning too. I have been meaning to read The Invisible Library but haven't had a chance yet. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited to read Heartless! Happy reading!
    Here is my It's Monday! What are you reading?: http://shoshireads.weebly.com/home/its-monday-what-are-you-reading7952845

    ReplyDelete
  14. Guess I need to get Victoria read soon! We haven't had to get sweaters out yet! It has been a mild fall thus far. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your collection of reads. Such a gorgeous mix.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was cold and rainy here too. :( I love fall, and an occasional rainy day is ok, but I hope it doesn't rain on Halloween. I agree, no going straight to winter!

    The Masked City sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!