Sunday, October 16, 2016

Sunday Post (65) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

Last weekend I was out of town visiting my sister. We went to a food festival and then to the movie theater where we watched The Girl on the Train. I hadn't read the book and I'm glad I didn't. The movie was slow at times (at one point I wished I could just leave) but it definitely picked up at the end with that twist. My sister felt the same way about it (she probably liked it less since she'd read the book and knew about the twist) but her friends enjoyed it more.

This past week was my murder mystery dinner at the library. The theme was Murder in the Library and I played one of the suspects. My boss also played a suspect (he was the "head librarian") and so did several of my coworkers. We had a lot of fun with it and even though we had less of a turnout than usual, the library patrons really enjoyed it. Part of the fun was being in the library after it was closed. Now I will be getting things ready for the end of the year with my budget requests for next year, some purchases I need to catch up on and maybe one last program. 


Last two weeks on my blog:




The Queen's Accomplice by Susan Elia MacNeal (review)

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult (review)



Books read:


The Sheriffs of Savage Wells by Sarah M. Eden

I liked this historical romance about a female sheriff set in the "Wild West". I think Paisley would have made Annie Oakley proud and I'm hoping there will be more books about this town and its quirky citizens.


United by Melissa Landers

I thought United was a mostly satisfying conclusion to the Alienated series. It was great to see Cara become a better leader and while it wasn't as lighthearted as the previous books (especially the first one), I still really liked it.


A Most Novel Revenge by Ashley Weaver

This was another enjoyable entry in the Amory Ames mystery series. I liked that the mystery took place at a country house with plenty of suspects.


The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

This is one of those charming books that are perfect to read when you want something light and fluffy and Hallmark movie-like. I liked that the main character is a librarian though she does lose her job and end up opening a bookshop in a van that she drives around in a small village in Scotland. There is also some romance and some fun quirky characters. 


Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson

Hi. My name is Christina and I am a Rae Carson fangirl :)

I loved Walk on Earth a Stranger especially with the wagon train setting and in Like a River Glorious we get to see Leah and her friends establish a gold mining camp and a new life for themselves in California while also dealing with the threat of her evil uncle. 



The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman

This is such a fun fantasy novel. It had an almost steampunk feel (but I liked it more than Gail Carriger's books which are over the top) and I loved the intelligent and capable main character, Irene. I am curious to learn more about the Library, the characters and the various worlds. 


Books listened to:



Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson (reread)




Currently reading:



A Shadow Bright and Burning by Jessica Cluess

So far this reminds me of The Burning Sky, another YA fantasy novel I loved. I've heard so many good things about this book and hopefully it won't disappoint.


Currently listening to:



The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (reread)




On my TBR pile:


The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman

I've already read an excerpt of this sequel to The Invisible Library and I can't wait to dive in. The book is partly set in an alternate Venice where every day is Carnival.


Heartless by Marissa Meyer

I'm hoping that I will like this book about The Queen of Hearts before she went bad. I loved The Lunar Chronicles (except for Fairest) so hopefully this will be good too.


Victoria by Daisy Goodwin

I'm excited about the TV miniseries Victoria that will be on PBS next year and Daisy Goodwin is the person who created and wrote it. 


New books received:


The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan (purchased)

The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman (library book)

Heartless by Marissa Meyer (for review)


Victoria by Daisy Goodwin (for review)





12 comments:

  1. I look forward to your review of Rae Carson's latest. I read the first book and enjoyed it! I also can't wait to read Heartless and Victoria - two of my most anticipated reads for the year! I'm sorry to hear Girl on the Train was a bit slow. I read the book and enjoyed it last year (no where near as good as Gone Girl though...not sure why they made the comparisons!), so I will have to rent this movie when it comes out on DVD. I hope you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Cogman's series. Glad that despite the low turn out a good time was had by all at the mystery dinner :) Enjoy the week ahead

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bookshop on the Corner is one I've been eyeing...and I also love the look of A Most Novel Revenge...but I guess I would need to read the earlier books in the series first.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked The Invisible Library and am looking forward to reading the enxt one. And glad to hear the Amory Ames was good! That's another series i need to get back to.

    That's good to know about The Girl on the Train. In spite of the book being a little lackluster for me, I do want to see the film. But I'll go in with lower expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read Rae Carson but it sounds like I should! Also, The Masked City and The Bookshop.. both sound really good. The busier I get, the more I crave Hallmarky happy books!

    It sounds like you had a fun visit with your sister. I love food festivals, yum! I hope you got to eat some good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to know what you think of Victoria. I never get tired reading about her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to Victoria too, I think it starts here next month so will be happy to have something interesting on TV. Added the western to my wish list, like a good western!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of doing an after-hours murder mystery program at the library - that sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. United is very good, and I'm also impatient to have Heartless in my hands. Have a nice week;

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to read Victoria by Daisy Goodwin. I have read and enjoyed another book by the same author. I hope you enjoy the book too.
    I also love the title of The Bookshop on the corner- sounds great.
    Have a lovely week,
    Amanda @ Mrs B's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a nice collection!! Enjoy!
    http://thebestbasicblogger.blogspot.com/2016/10/its-monday-what-are-you-reading.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many interesting books! I'm thinking of starting the Susan Elia MacNeal series soon, and I read your review this past week. Haven't read The Bookshop on the Corner that appeals to the bookstore lover in me, also haven't picked up a Rae Carson, though she has so many loyal fans.
    Have a good week ahead.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!