Sunday, April 24, 2016

Sunday Post (49) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

The week went by in a blur. I have been busy at work trying to get ready for our revamped summer reading program for adults (we are also revamping the teen and children's programs too) and still don't have everything figured out. At home I have been trying to plan a vacation I'll hopefully be taking this fall with my parents. Last spring I went to Williamsburg, Virginia on a girls trip with a friend and I'd like to go back and see more of the historical sites. We didn't buy tickets for Colonial Williamsburg so that is something I want to do this year if possible.

This week I have my book discussion groups on Tuesday. I finished the book we're reading for the afternoon group but I have just started our book for evening book group. I'll be spending a significant part of the day trying to finish. On Friday I am going to visit my sister for the weekend. I'll be attending a cancer fundraiser that she co-chairs on Saturday. There is a lot of food to sample and a silent auction. 





#FitReaders Weekly Check In

#FitReaders is hosted by Felicia at The Geeky Blogger and Jen at That's What I'm Talking About

I did a lot better with my steps this week and I also found out that I lost a few pounds which was a nice surprise. Hopefully I will keep it off!

Sunday--3,038 steps
Monday--10,671 steps
Tuesday--14,802 steps
Wednesday--11,387 steps
Thursday--10,840 steps
Friday--12,359 steps
Saturday--12,119 steps



Last week on my blog:


Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse (review)



Books read:



Emma by Jane Austen (reread)

I mostly enjoyed listening to this audio book. It has been years since I last read Emma. My thoughts this time were that Emma was pretty immature and could be annoying but I just couldn't hate her. Mr. Knightley deserved better and he seemed too good to be true in a way. I suppose that is why Jane Austen gave him that tongue in cheek name (George Knightley).



Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey

I liked this book though I was a little disappointed that Juliana wasn't very involved in the espionage. I think I was expecting something more like A School for Unusual Girls



A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner

I'm still not sure how I feel about this novel. Part of it were pretty tough to read but I did feel a little emotionally manipulated by the story (similar to Nicholas Sparks novels). I'm curious about how the others in my book group will feel.



Currently reading:



Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

I just started this but I already don't like Anya. I'm not sure about Meredith either. I've heard this is almost as good as The Nightingale and some say it is just as good. I hope so! We'll see how it goes. Perhaps Anya's story will change my mind about her.



The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien (reread)

I'm getting closer to the end of my reread. Frodo, Sam and Gollum are arriving at the Stairs of Cirith Ungol. Run, Frodo, run for your life!



Currently listening to:



Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling (reread)

I'm having fun listening to the audio books again. I do feel sorry for Harry in this book and hate it when the Hufflepuffs and others think he is the Heir of Slytherin. I want to smack that pompous Ernie Macmillan!



On my TBR pile:


The Skylighter by Becky Wallace

I definitely hope to read this soon. It was published in March so I want to move it up my TBR pile.

Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider

I think a beach read sounds perfect for this time of year. I can't wait for summer!



I just got the ARC for Britt-Marie Was Here which is a companion novel that will be published next month so I want to read this first.



New books:


Charlotte Cuts it Out by K.A. Barson (library book)

The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson (for review)

Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave (for review)

Wanderlost by Jen Malone (for review)

Summer Days and Summer Nights by Stephanie Perkins et al. (for review)

Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman (for review)



17 comments:

  1. You have had a very busy productive week! I love the audio version of Harry Potter - is this the version read by Stephen Fry? I think he did an fabulous job. I love Emma and I think Knightley is a bit of a prig and wish that she ended up with Frank instead - I'm not sure they are going to be all that happy together...
    As for your latest acquisitions - I'll be fascinated to see what you make of 'Everyone Brave is Forgiven'. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I loved Winter Garden...hope you enjoy it. I downloaded Backman's "grandmother" book (that title is TOO long, LOL).

    Enjoy your week, and here are
    MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read the grandmother book. I keep hearing such wonderful things about it!

      Delete
  3. Woo Hoo...congrats on the weight loss!!! And you had a great week, step-wise...all-in-all, an awesome week for you!!! I haven't been to Williamsburg, but I do want to get there one of these days. My mom and I have been to DC a few times to do the DC 1/2 marathon (we walk it) and always end up doing some sightseeing while there...I love going to all the museums and memorials - seems like you have similar interests :)

    I have Britt-Marie Was Here, but still need to read the prior book, too. I knew those 2 were connected, but what about his 1st book, A Man Called Ove? I still haven't read that one, and am wondering if I need to fit that one in first? Is it just the last 2 that are connected?

    I really enjoyed Winter Garden - I listened to it and thought it was great on audio...I do you end up liking it!

    Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone Brave is Forgiven by Chris Cleave looks interesting. We booked a week at the Jersey shore. Our niece is getting married, so it was the perfect plan. Wedding Sat, then the beach for a week and all the kids and their families are coming! Congrats on the weight loss. Hope this week is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think colonial Williamsburg would be awesome, I hope to get out there one of these days. Sounds like a great trip! I thought Love, Lies and Spies sounded a lot like school for Unusual Girls, so I would have expected similarities too.

    I can't wait to see what you think of the Summer Days, Summer Nights anthology- I have high hopes for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Winter Garden cover is lovely! Great steps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read the Chris Cleave! Well done too on your steps last week (mine was awful!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love the audio versions of the Harry Potter books. I always have one going when the kids are in the car!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found the Winter Garden to be a bit slow to start and I too wasn't crazy about the characters. But the book as a whole was really good. Hang in there it will get better. I've never seen that cover before, its nice.
    All the best to you and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG! I loved The Winter Garden - hang in there! I listened to it on audio. Loved it. I've just read the Chris Cleave book, a difficult book to read but worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean about emotionally manipulative novels - the ones that dare you to cry just because. I will have to re-read Jane Austen at one point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm ambivalent about A Fall of Marigolds too. It was an interesting look at the Fire and Ellis Island but I was never really into the modern story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Winter Garden looks intriguing. I hope you enjoy your books!

    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I look forward to your review of Love, Lies & Spies. I think it sounds like something I'd enjoy. I also think you'll like Summer of Sloane...such a drama filled beach read...perfect for something light. I also can't wait to read The Unexpected Everything! I hope you had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many of your books look good! I want to read them all! I am definitely adding Charlotte Cuts it Out, Summer Days and Summer Nights, Wanderlost, and The Unexpected Everything to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bravo on the steps and weight loss! What a fabulous idea! Also I'm pretty jealous of your book haul. My TBR both thanks you, and groans :). Happy reading week!

    Jessica @ HDB

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!