Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sunday Post (48) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

This week we finally return to spring :) I have been enjoying the warmer weather and a visit to my family this past weekend. I didn't get much reading done but this coming weekend I am hoping to participate in Dewey's 24-HR readathon (though I definitely will not be reading for 24 hours!).

The edible book festival went really well. Below are some of the pictures. My favorite is "To Grill a Mockingbird" which won Best in Show, Best Pun/Funniest, Most Creative Use of Ingredients and People's Choice. One of the ladies in my book group made the grill out of cake. The wheels are Oreo cookies and she used candy for the coals. My entry is the middle one. The Twinkie cars turned out nicely and didn't take me that long to make. I won Best Library Staff Entry and Best Visual Presentation.








#FitReaders Weekly Check In

#FitReaders is hosted by Felicia at The Geeky Blogger and Jen at That's What I'm Talking About

I knew I wouldn't get my steps in this past week due to my trip to see my parents and other morning commitments but I did have a few good days. Tuesday was very busy at work with the edible book festival and my Star Wars movie night going on at the same time. I'm not surprised I did so well on steps that day!

Sunday--1,317 steps
Monday--4,224 steps
Tuesday--15,776 steps
Wednesday--11,479 steps
Thursday--10,554 steps
Friday--6,854 steps
Saturday--5,548 steps

Last week on my blog:


A Window Opens by Elisabeth Egan (review)
Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld (review)


Books read:


The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson

While it did have a slow start I thought this book was fantastic and I think readers who like WWI historical fiction and the English village setting would appreciate it. I was also reminded a little of the TV shows Downton Abbey and Home Fires.


Currently reading:


Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey

I should be finishing this soon as I only have a few chapters left to go. I am enjoying it.


The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien (reread)

Frodo and Sam have parted company with Faramir and are making their way to Cirith Ungol. I'd forgotten about the parts in Ithilien and how pleasant that area was in spite of its proximity to Mordor.


Currently listening to:


Emma by Jane Austen (reread)

I'm almost done listening to this with only three hours left. I should finish later today on my trip back home. I think Emma is my least favorite of Austen's heroines but she does mean well most of the time. 

On my TBR pile:


Summer of Sloane by Erin L. Schneider


Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah

This is my evening book group's selection for April. We loved The Nightingale and I've heard Winter Garden is excellent too.


New books received:


The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski (library book)

The Glittering Court by Richelle Mead (library book)

Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum (library book)

The Way I Used to Be by Amber Smith (library book)

When We Collided by Emery Lord (library book)

Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson (library book)







14 comments:

  1. I love the edible food entries -- so fun! Your library is the best. I have been loving this weather as well. I am so excited for some sunshine. I hope you enjoy Summer of Sloane. I thought it was a fun beach read filled with a lot of drama. I also got a copy of The Glittering Court. I hope it doesn't disappoint. Also, I really liked When We Collided...can't wait to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your new books! I like the look of The Summer Before the War...I loved Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, by this author.

    I also loved A Window Opens.

    Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Lord of the Rings a reread sounds awesome. I am loving the edibles so darn cute! Hope this week is a good one for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swore I commented and will giggle if after I submit this your blog tells me you do moderation. LOL I am loving the edible entries..so darn cute. Enjoy your new books and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the Twinkie cars! Nicely done. And Everyone Poops- I laughed when I saw that one. Awesome!!

    Love, Lies and Spies does look fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you rocked the book haul this week! I really need to check out these books!

    Happy Reading! Dani @ Paulette’s Papers

    (New Bloglovin Follower!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear your thoughts on the SUMMER BEFORE THE WAR - I'm attracted to the cover and the setting...

    Lots of good reading/listening - I luv audios as well . Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you enjoy The Glittering Court. I'm dying to read that one.

    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun contest!

    I'm very interested in The Summer, so thanks for your thoughts.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/04/peace-love-and-book-ed-to-max.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard such good things about The Summer Before the War and Emma is a favorite. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your books. I have a few of these on my reading pile list. Thanks for sharing. Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That book festival looks really fun! Loved the To Grill A Mockingbird who ever did that was very talented. Yours looked cute as well!

    You got a lot of great books I hope you enjoy them! :)

    Stormi

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun! I love how readers put in so much effort into their edible creations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been seeing Love, Lies and Spies a fair bit now - looks really intriguing.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!