Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Waiting on Wednesday (161)

"Waiting on" Wednesday is a weekly meme to discuss upcoming books we can't wait to get our hands on. Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine.


This week, I'm waiting on:

Mechanica by Betsy Cornwell
Release date: August 25, 2015

Nicolette’s awful stepsisters call her “Mechanica” to demean her, but the nickname fits: she learned to be an inventor at her mother’s knee. Her mom is gone now, though, and the Steps have turned her into a servant in her own home. 

But on her sixteenth birthday, Nicolette discovers a secret workshop in the cellar and begins to dare to imagine a new life for herself. Could the mysterious books and tools hidden there—and the mechanical menagerie, led by a tiny metal horse named Jules—be the key to escaping her dreary existence? With a technological exposition and royal ball on the horizon, the timing might just be perfect for Nicolette to earn her freedom at last.

Gorgeous prose and themes of social justice and family shine in this richly imagined Cinderella retelling about an indomitable inventor who finds her prince . . . but realizes she doesn't want a fairy tale happy ending after all.

I love fairy tales retold and while I know this book has drawn comparisons with Cinder, I have a feeling it will be original enough that I will like it.



4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this. And I just love that cover. I hope you get to read, and enjoy, it soon. Thanks for sharing, and happy Wednesday! :)
    Here's my WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great read and it's new to me.....I'll definitely be adding it to my TBR list. Thanks for putting this one on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover of this book! Great pick

    Check out our WOW & learn how to win an ARC copy of SIX OF CROWS!

    Leydy @ OUaT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read this one and it was pretty good. There were a few parts that dragged bit, but I still enjoyed it. I hope you do as well!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!