Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday Post (12) / It's Monday What Are You Reading


The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next. I will also be sharing my It's Monday post on Twitter #IMWAYR.

I had a relatively quiet week. The weather warmed up to the 90s for the first time this summer and there were even a few sunny days along with all the rain. We did have a tornado warning while I was at work so we had to get all the library patrons to go down to the basement and we hung out there for half an hour till the all clear. We had a couple of those last year too but never any tornadoes or damage. My parents had some stormy weather that uprooted one of their apple trees (a small one) and their creek flooded but there was no damage to their house thankfully and the water receded quickly.

So the summer reading program is over and I feel kind of blah at the moment. I have some things to catch up on but I kind of miss planning programs. Next month is the back to school clothing swap for kids and I want to give away a couple of backpacks filled with school supplies. I am trying to decide if I want to go with cheaper character backpacks (one for a boy and one for a girl) that I think would be more popular with the kids or more expensive ones from L.L. Bean that have a lifetime warranty that parents would go for. I was looking at the local school supply lists and I was surprised at how much the kids have to bring now not just for themselves but to share with the classroom. Each kid has to buy their own set of headphones too. We used old fashioned headphones that belonged to the school in the good old days!

This coming weekend I will be going to visit my sister and finally meet my furry niece Jordy. I have to go shopping for a onesie and a dog toy in the meantime (she has a scratch that she keeps biting so the vet wants my sister to put her in a shirt).

 
A photo posted by Raji Parker and Jordy (@raji_parker.and.jordy) on

 
Last week on the blog:


The Fixer by Jennifer Lynn Barnes (review)
Daughter of Deep Silence by Carrie Ryan (review)



Books read:



Until Friday Night by Abbi Glines

This is the first book by Glines that I've read. I believe she writes primarily New Adult fiction but this is a novel for teens. It kind of reminded me of All Lined Up by Cora Carmack. I really liked it (not too heavy on the football stuff) and plan to read the next book in the series.



Joyride by Anna Banks

Joyride features a forbidden interracial romance and the issue of illegal immigration but it was surprisingly lighthearted at times too especially with the pranks that Arden plays. I thought it was pretty good.



Who Do You Love by Jennifer Weiner

The concept of this one reminded me a little of One Day (the film--I haven't read the book) but with a happier ending. It covers years in the life of Andrew and Rachel from the time they first meet in a hospital as little kids to their adult years.



Ms. Marvel Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson

Kamala Khan is a Pakistani American teen who gets superpowers and becomes the new Ms. Marvel while also trying to please her traditional Muslim parents. I liked this graphic novel and not just because it features diversity in its superhero.




This is a selection for my afternoon book discussion group. The two main characters were once friends as kids until an incident destroyed their friendship. Larry was accused of murdering a girl in his class when they went on a date and she disappeared. They never found a body so he wasn't charged but the town considers him guilty and treats him as such. In present day, Silas is investigating the disappearance of another girl while the town is all too ready to believe Larry is involved. Then Larry is found shot. I ended up liking this book though it took a while to get into. The writing style is very descriptive and atmospheric and the narrative jumps back and forth in time.


Currently reading:



A School for Brides by Patrice Kindl

This is a companion novel to Keeping the Castle but it can be read as a standalone. The main characters are students at a finishing school for girls aimed at getting them married off but the problem is that there aren't any marriageable men in the area.The book has a lighthearted tone and I like it so far.



What I might read next:



Home to Woefield by Susan Juby

This is the book my evening book group is reading for July. I thought it would be a fun book but I read a little of it and find the protagonist annoying. Oh, boy. Hopefully it will get better.



Ana of California by Andi Teran

I hope to read this soon. I have read some really positive reviews. I do know that it isn't a direct retelling of Anne of Green Gables and that it is a little darker so I'll keep that in mind when I read.



Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

I have heard mixed things about this book but I am going to read it with an open mind. From what I've read about it, this isn't a sequel to To Kill a Mockingbird but rather her original version of the story that the publisher told her to rework and write about the young Scout. That could explain the differences I've heard about in characters and things that happened.



The Kiss of Deception by Mary Pearson (reread)

I loved this book when I first read it but never wrote a review. Shame on me! Now the sequel has been released and I want to reread this before I pick up The Heart of Betrayal.



The Other Daughter by Lauren Willig

This sounds different from Willig's other books and I like the time period it's set in. I am not always a fan of revenge novels but I am going to give this a try.



New books received:



Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee (library book)

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine (library book)

The Heart of Betrayal by Mary Pearson (library book)

Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography by Laura Ingalls Wilder (library book)

The Bollywood Bride by Sonali Dev (for review)

Who Do You Love by Jennifer Weiner (for review)

14 comments:

  1. I loved Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter and Ana of California. I have bookmarked Who Do You Love.

    Jordy is adorable!

    Thanks for sharing, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read Who Do You Love because I like Wiener, and also Ana of California because I live there :)
    Good luck with all the back to school prep. By the way, that puppy is downright adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've warmed up too and it's been pretty nice, although we did have a tornado warning last night too. Some storms went through but wasn't to obad. I can see where the end of the reading program would be a bummer, it must be fun to plan those and see them come to life. I also can't believe all the stuff kids need nowadays for school!

    Enjoy your reads! I heard Ana of California was good, and I like the art on the Pearson books as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had gotten Who Do You Love as well and really enjoyed it. Go Set A Watchman is one I want to get to one I do a reread of To Kill a Mockingbird - Enjoy your reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have The Bollywood Bride to read as well and I am looking forward to it. The other one that attracts me in you list is Pioneer Girl - I imagine that would be really interesting. Hope it turns out that way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad to hear that all is well and that you were not affected by the tornado. I am paranoid about them! :(

    Until Friday Night looks cute! I will have to check it out. The cover makes me think of Friday Night Lights which I enjoyed. Lol. I don't think I am going to read Go Set a Watchman. :( I am too afraid! I love the characters too much to read something that might change that for me, especially Atticus!! (which is also one of Wyatt's middle names)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, looking forward to quite a few of these! The Kiss of Deception looks really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great selection of books you've got going, pretty cover on The Bollywood Bride too. I bought Go Set a Watchman on audio but I'm trying not to read too many reviews before I listen to it ... me too on keeping an open mind. I reread TKAM when my son was in senior so it's reasonably fresh in my mind.

    Glad you just got a tornado warning not the tornado and your parent's home didn't sustain damage from the storm. Love Jordy's little vest. Bella wears a t-shirt or jumper most days as she has canine dermatitis and scratches and chews at herself a lot. It does help and you can get such cute ones!

    Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking forward to reading Weiners new novel, I'm a fan :)

    Have a great visit with your sister,

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you liked Until Friday Night....can't wait to read that one. I also read The Other Daughter last week. I liked it, but not as much as The Ashford Affair. The revenge piece sort of annoyed me after awhile. I also am looking forward to reading Watchman. I thought it was a sequel, so I was a little disappointed to hear it reads more like a first draft of TKAM, but like you, I will try to keep an open mind. Oh, and your sister's dog is SOOOO cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked The Kiss of Deception and have The Heart of Betrayal on my TBR stack. It is in line behind lots and lots of review books though. Come see my reading week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keen to hear what you think of Go Set A Watchman. I read and reviewed it last week and was the same as you... tried to go into it with an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jordy is so adorable! I plan to avoid Go Set a Watchman. I love the characters in TKAM so very much that I'm afraid that reading more about them will ruin it for me. I know, I'm a coward.

    I went shopping for school supplies to donate today too. I decided I couldn't afford an expensive backpack but I bought one that looks expensive anyway. Hopefully it will hold up for a while! I thought more donations might be geared to younger kids since there's so much cute stuff out there for them, so I tried to keep tweens in mind as I shopped.

    I'm glad the tornado warning turned out okay! Have a great weekend with your sister!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!