Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Top Ten Halloween Edition



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. There is a new subject each week and this week's topic is "Top Ten Books to Get Into the Halloween Spirit"


Books to read for Halloween if you want something with more humor than horror:



Evil Librarian by Michelle Knudsen


This book has plenty of humor and snarkiness and I think fans of Buffy the Vampire Slayer would really like it. I love the tagline: "He’s young. He’s hot. He’s also evil. He’s . . . the librarian."



Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins


Rachel Hawkins has a humorous and sarcastic writing style that works well in Hex Hall and School Spirits.



School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins


I really liked Hex Hall but I loved School Spirits even more. The main character is smart and brave and funny.



House of Ivy and Sorrow by Natalie Whipple


This reminded me of both Hex Hall and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. A young witch works on developing her powers while also trying to find a way to break a curse that killed her mom and other witches in her family. 


Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling


Halloween is a big deal in the Harry Potter books and who could forget Nearly Headless Nick's Death Day Party?


Soulless by Gail Carriger


Vampires, werewolves, mystery and a smart heroine with a dry British wit. What more could you ask for? This book is great with a cup of tea :)


Books to read for Halloween if you want something a little scary/suspenseful:



Made for You by Melissa Marr


Someone tries to kill the main character in a hit and run but she wakes up in the hospital with the ability to experience the moment of a person's death when she touches them. Also there is a serial killer targeting the teens at her school and it is someone she knows...


The Naturals series by Jennifer Lynn Barnes


Nothing remotely paranormal about these books but they feature teens trying to solve crimes committed by serial killers. Some really chilling scenes especially when you get inside the mind of a killer.



The Diviners by Libba Bray


There may be some humor in this book and a fantastic Jazz Age setting but this is not one I could read in the dark. The killer is truly evil...and there is a creepy but cool book trailer


Delia's Shadow by Jaime Lee Moyer


Another historical book with a serial killer and hint of the paranormal. I also wouldn't read this one in the dark...

3 comments:

  1. The Hex Hall series by Rachel Hawkins is one I've been hearing about offten. I'm want to read School Spirits by Rachel Hawkins. And no list could be done right without Harry Potter. Nearly Headless Nick's Death Day Party was one of my favorite parts!
    If you feel like it please feel free to see mine here
    http://wonderstruck-kcks.blogspot.com/2014/10/top-ten-tuesday-15.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome list! I completely agree with you regarding Made For You, HP, The Diviners and Hex Hall. I still need to read Soulless. I have had it on my shelf forever…thanks for the reminder! I am also interested in Delia's Shadow….sounds like my kind of read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evil Librarian and Soulless series have been on my TBR list. I like that this list is spooky but not straight up horror. Those are my kinds of reads!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!