Sunday, October 5, 2014

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (193)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I had a major disappointment last week. I am trying to find an apartment in the town where I work so I don't have a scary commute or car accident this winter like I did last year. It is really hard to find apartments there and this one would have been perfect but it turned out to be too expensive. I am hopeful that this week will be much better and that things work out for the best. 

October is going to be a very busy month and I have a feeling it will fly by. I have a Wild West murder mystery dinner program for the library coming up towards the end of the month and next week I have to help give a presentation at our staff development day. I hate public speaking but I have the reward of Tim Horton's donuts to look forward to afterwards.

I was excited to realize today that The Blood of Olympus will be released on Tuesday. I preordered my copy ages ago and forgot the release date. Now I have something fun to look forward to on Wednesday when I have the day off. I had just planned to do laundry and some of the cleaning I neglected this weekend but now I have something fun to do as well.


Books reviewed:


Night of a Thousand Stars by Deanna Raybourn


Books read:


The Help by Kathryn Stockett (reread)

I thought this audio book was excellent. I'd forgotten some of the incidents that happened in the book (I'd only read it once before but I watched the movie several times) and some of the differences between the book and film.


My True Love Gave to Me by Stephanie Perkins, Rainbow Rowell, Laini Taylor, etc.

I mostly liked the stories in this holiday themed collection though there were a few that were weird or just didn't quite work for me. Surprisingly some of my favorite stories were by Matt de la Pena and Myra McEntire, authors I've never read before. I guess that is the beauty of trying a short story collection. You discover new authors :)


Made For You by Melissa Marr

I didn't mean to finish this book today. I was supposed to be reading Boomerang but I picked this up to try it as a possible book for later this week and I just couldn't put it down till I finished it. Very suspenseful but I do wish I hadn't figured out who the killer was as early as I did.


Currently reading:


Boomerang by Noelle August

My goal is to finish this book by Tuesday because otherwise it is going on the back burner when The Blood of Olympus downloads on my Kindle...


What I plan to read next:


The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan

I am so excited that this book is finally here! I was also happy to find out that next October, the first book in Riordan's Norse Mythology series will be released.


Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis

I am looking forward to this one and I hope I will be able to put aside my Lunar Chronicles comparisons and just enjoy the story.


The Young Elites by Marie Lu

I don't know if I will get to read this book yet but I put it on my list anyway. I decided to move it down the TBR pile a little because I'm not sure I'm in the mood for it yet. I've heard it is pretty dark.


12 comments:

  1. I hope you have a more successful hunting for an apartment this week. Yes I must go and buy Blood of Olympus, or I won't be popular with my class as many of them lining up to read it. I loved The Help but only read it, not the audio. Fav part was that special cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Wild West murder mystery sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck putting that on... and the Tim Horton's donuts sound pretty good too!

    I was thinking of getting that holiday anthology for an upcoming Christmas readathon- anthologies can be so hit or miss but I may try this one. And Riordan's Norse mythology book has me interested, even though I haven't read the current series yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grrr... hate it when you figure out the killer early on!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope the search wields better results this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I loved Marie Lu's Legend series, I'll have to put The Young Elites on my TBR list. I'm a fan of the Lunar Chronicles, hope Stitching Snow is good, such a pretty cover. You've also got me wanting to read Made For You ... too many good books and not enough time!
    Good luck with your apartment hunting, I've got my fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you find the perfect apartment! *fingers crossed for you* Also, I really enjoyed Made For You. I kind of had an idea regarding the killer too, but I thought the book was really suspenseful anyway. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your apartment hunt! stitching Snow looks interesting

    Enjoy your selections this week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stitching Snow is on the top of my TBR. I am chomping at the bit to get it.

    Guy Vestal @ Counter Culture Critic - My Monday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's hoping you find an apartment soon! I know that struggle all too well :). You have so many good books on your reading list! Happy reading!

    Jessica @ Hopelessly Devoted Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck apartment hunting! I enjoyed Stitching Snow and didn't find it very much like the Lunar Chronicles. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I reread The Help this year with my book club and found it just as enjoyable. I haven't checked out the audiobook, but I'm sure it's great.
    Hope you have a great week!

    Here's my Monday - http://bmariebooks.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need to read the Melissa Marr book, that name sounds familiar though. but I love a book that I can pick up and next thing I know im done with it cause I couldn't put it down, sucks that the killer was easy to find out about.


    Here's my It's Monday post

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!