Sunday, November 4, 2012

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (124)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I had a busy week but managed to finish a few books anyway. On Thursday I went to a library workshop where I got to hear Melanie Gideon speak about her new novel Wife22 and her experiences in the publishing world. It was really interesting. I may have to pick up her nonfiction book someday. She was an entertaining speaker.



Books read:


The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker

I did not care for this book in the end though some of the other members of the book group did enjoy it. It reminded me of The Tiger's Wife which I also didn't like.


Silent Night by Deanna Raybourn

I love the Lady Julia mysteries but this novella was not a real mystery. It was still a nice little story and great to see some of my favorite characters again.


Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

This YA fantasy novel wasn't perfect but I still liked it quite a bit. I was surprised that I liked it since I was expecting to be disappointed.


Books reviewed:

Hidden by Sophie Jordan


Currently reading:


Princess Elizabeth's Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal

I am about halfway done with this historical mystery and I enjoy it so far. I think I like it more than the first book. 


The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley

I haven't gotten very far with this book yet but Susanna Kearsley's books usually have slower pacing. I'm sure I will enjoy it though since I liked her other books that I've tried.


What I plan to read next:


Cinders and Sapphires by Leila Rasheed


Vessel by Sarah Beth Durst

I read a sample of this book and it really interested me. I am thinking of buying it so I can read it right away once I'm done with my current books! I like seeing diversity in YA fantasy novels. 


Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult

This book is the November selection for my evening book discussion group. I haven't read it before but I usually like Jodi Picoult's books. I'm sure it will be great for discussion anyway.


What have you been reading lately?


11 comments:

  1. I love the Lady Julia series. Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked The Shadowy Horses myself very much. I got the Kearsley books only very recently and now am on the look out for The Winter Garden and Mariana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your thoughts on Hidden Kingdoms-I've read some great YA fantasies this year and I'm hoping to add this one to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed The Shadowy Horses, I'm sure you will too since you're a fan of her work. You have so many books listed that I'd love to read, Vessel sounds intriguing, Wife 22 is on my TBR mountain, I've heard it's great and I'm keen to make a start on Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia series. I need my reading mojo back lol

    Have a wonderful week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting selection of books. My favorite book was Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson Please come see what I'm reading now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed Wife22, Vessel looks interesting!

    Wishing you a great reading week

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the title The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, even though you didn't enjoy the novel. And I love the cover of Falling Kingdoms. I may check that out, since you really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not even realize there was a Lady Julia novella out, I bought it for my Kindle just now! I can't get enough of that character :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wasn't a big fan of The Tiger's Wife either..I just didn't get it, lol.

    I've been meaning to pick up Wife 22, it's so cool that you got to see the author :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keeping Faith was a great book club book for my group! We talked alot about family relationships and religion, definitely a lively talk! Hope its a great discussion for you guys too. :)
    Whatcha readin' this week @ the Brunette Librarian :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Cinders and Sapphires. It sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!