Sunday, September 4, 2016

Sunday Post (62) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I can't believe it is Labor Day weekend already. It feels like summer just started! I am busy with preparations for my trip to Williamsburg this coming weekend. I have to pack, figure out food (my mom doesn't want to cook but my dad doesn't want to eat out much), and finalize the itinerary. I bought some tickets already but for the other things we will wait till we get there. I hope Hermine doesn't affect the area too badly. We are going to spend a few days at Colonial Williamsburg, one day at Monticello and one day at the Jamestown Settlement as well as a visit to Virginia Beach where my mom's best friend lives. I am trying to decide about the Yorktown Victory Center as it is under renovation so a lot of the exhibits are closed. 

This past week my book group met at a winery to discuss Eight Hundred Grapes, a book about a family and their winery. We had a wine tasting and then talked about the book over dinner. It was a fun evening. 

With fall on the way, I've started planning fall programs. I don't have much of a budget left but I want to have one more murder mystery dinner before the year is out. The company I use has a library murder mystery that I thought sounded like a lot of fun. I also can save some money by not decorating and using the library as the setting instead of our really boring meeting room. I am also showing a few movies starting with Love & Friendship and Me Before You. I watched both movies earlier this week. I thought the book version of Me Before You is much better than the movie. Love & Friendship was confusing at first but I really liked it in the end.


Last two weeks on my blog:



The Matchmakers of Minnow Bay by Kelly Harms (review)
P.S. I Like You by Kasie West (review)



Books read:



Eight Hundred Grapes by Laura Dave

Did you know that there are 800 grapes in a bottle of wine? That is just one of the wine related facts I learned from this novel. My book group had fun picking this book apart (I liked it more than some of the other members) though we did enjoy the details about wine making and the excuse to meet at a winery :)


Crowned and Dangerous by Rhys Bowen

Another enjoyable entry in the Royal Spyness series. Although the mystery wasn't as satisfactory as in some of the other titles, I still liked catching up with Georgie and other favorite characters. 


The Reader by Traci Chee

I liked this fantasy novel though it definitely took awhile to get into the story and it was a bit confusing at times.



Books listened to:


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (reread)


Summerlost by Ally Condie

I was looking for an audiobook to listen to from Overdrive and came across Ally Condie's MG novel. I thought it was really cute and an enjoyable book to listen to.



Currently reading:


The Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson

I am finally reading this sequel to A Kiss of Deception and I'm on hold for a copy of the final book, The Beauty of Darkness. I loved A Kiss of Deception and this book is pretty good too. I have heard some negative things about the last book though.



Currently listening to:


Alienated by Melissa Landers (reread)

When I came across this audiobook on Overdrive, I thought it might be fun to listen to the series again before I read the last book, United. I am really enjoying listening to this. I am picky about narrators for YA fiction but I like the narration, even for Aelyx. This book is kind of timely too.



On my TBR pile:


America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie

I bought this when it was a Kindle Daily Deal (it's still $1.99 last I checked) and thought it would be the perfect book to read now as I am going to be visiting Monticello next week. 


Invaded by Melissa Landers (reread)

I may just buy this on audio to listen to instead of rereading my e-book copy but I want to remind myself of what happens before I start reading United. That will have to wait till I'm back from vacation.


Belgravia by Julian Fellowes

I thought this would be a fun book to read on my vacation. I've heard it is excellent. My only issue will be if I can fit it in my bag with all the other stuff I have to take :) I may have to wait till I get back to start this one since it isn't on my Kindle.


The Smoke Hunter by Jacquelyn Benson

I am really looking forward to reading this soon. I think it would be another fun vacation read. 


Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson

I was so excited to get an ARC of this book. Rae Carson is one of my favorite authors and I loved the first book, Walk on Earth a Stranger.


New books received:



Something in Between by Melissa de la Cruz (for review)

Like a River Glorious by Rae Carson (for review)


The Smoke Hunter by Jacquelyn Benson (for review)

The Possibility of Somewhere by Julie Day (for review)

America's First Daughter by Stephanie Dray and Laura Kamoie (purchased)

The Rules of Love & Grammar by Mary Simses (library book)

All We Have Left by Wendy Mills (library book)

The City Baker's Guide to Country Living by Louise Miller (library book)

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a great time planned, I hope you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your vacation! I have actually never been to Williamsburg or Monticello, but I have always wanted to go. I have visited Virginia Beach though and enjoyed it. I look forward to your thoughts on America's First Daughter. I really liked it! I would be great to read that one while on vacation! I also hope to read Something in Between. I hope it doesn't disappoint. I also hope you enjoy Belgravia. While it isn't as good as Downton, it is still a lot of fun and reminiscent of it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great sounding books here, I can't even list all the ones I want to read now. Lol. Definitely The Smoke Hunter, that sounds amazing!

    Wow, the end of summer and your trip came fast!! I hope you have a great time, and that Hermine leaves you alone! I have always wanted to go to Williamsburg; I have a feeling I will be dragging my husband and Wyatt with me there one day. I can't wait to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Williamsburg and the colonial areas would be awesome to visit. Monticello... I hope you guys have a fantastic trip! And Eight Hundred grapes- I liked that book. The wine making details were fun!And good luck with your fall library plans. I think a murder mystery would be so fun. :)

    I think The Smoke Hunter looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your book group meeting sounds like a lot of fun! Eight hundred grapes in a bottle of wine? Wow.

    I hope you have a nice time in Williamsburg. It sounds like you will be visiting some great places.

    The Library Murder Mystery program sounds like so much fun. I wish I could go.

    I hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot on your TBR pile! I enjoyed Belgravia but would have preferred to see it as a TV series with all the dress etc. Your trip sounds amazing, hope it all goes to plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, discussing a book (about grapes / wine) at a winery is a great idea (and yummy!). And the murder / mystery dinner sounds great as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great book haul! I have Belgravia on my shelves to read too.
    I wish I was part of your book club, a trip to a winery to discuss books sounds like heaven!
    Have a fabulous week! Amanda @ Mrs B's Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eight Hundred Grapes sounds interesting: food, wine and mystery.
    Happy reading, and have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you and your book group had such fun with Eight Hundred Grapes. I like the premises of that one, will have a look. I enjoyed the book and the movie of Me Before You. I loved Emilia Clark's portrayal of Lu. She was perfect! I ended up crying in the movie, but I didn't cry in the book....

    Crowned and dangerous seems like a light, fun read!

    I've been busy this past week, so I didn't do a proper Sunday Post OR It's Monday! But here's my September Library card: http://marelithalkink.blogspot.co.za/2016/09/september-library-card-hostage-drama.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love, love, love the Harry Potter audiobooks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked Like a River Glorious but am now left hanging waiting for the next book. I enjoyed Alienated too but haven't read any of the rest of the series yet. Come see what I accomplished last week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your trip sounds wonderful! Enjoy.

    I also loved Eight Hundred Grapes. I had spent a week in Wine country not long before reading it, so I felt like I was there with the characters.

    The wine tasting for the book club discussion sounds like a great way to enjoy chatting about the book.

    Thanks for sharing...and have a great week. Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen Summerlost popping up on a number of blogs recently, it sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like you have a great trip coming up - I hope you enjoy it to the fullest!

    The library murder mystery sounds like fun, and great as you say, for your budget.

    Summerlost sounds like a great little read; I'll have to look in to that. Also, I hope you enjoy Belgravia, I've heard a few good things about it.

    I hope you have a wonderful week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have "800 Grapes" sitting in my TBR pile--hopefully I can get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved Belgravia. The Rhys Bowen mystery looks good. Enjoy your trip and all the reading material you've taken with you!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!