Sunday, February 8, 2015

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (204)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I meant to post last week but I wasn't feeling well (kidney stones) so this is two weeks worth of books. Really though I think I read most of them this week. Guess I just kind of pushed myself to read more though I still watched too much TV with Arrow, The Flash and Jane the Virgin at the top of my list. My latest addiction is Cupcake Wars which I found on Netflix. Interestingly enough it does not make me want to eat cupcakes. They come up with some really strange flavors including one that had fish in it. Not my kind of cupcake :)

Today was a really nice day for this time of year. A lot of the snow melted which made me happy. I wish we had another "warm" day but tomorrow it is back to the 20s and then even colder the rest of the week. It was fun while it lasted :)

Today is also the one year anniversary of when my mom got really sick with some form of encephalitis. Hard to believe it has been a year since everything happened. She is doing really well and enjoying teaching first grade though I know she is looking forward to spring break. If the weather is decent this coming weekend I am hoping to go home for a visit.


Books reviewed:


Love, Lucy by April Lindner
I'm Glad I Did by Cynthia Weil


Books read:


A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley

I really liked this though I was hoping for a little more intrigue and it wasn't set in Scotland. I thought the historical story was more interesting than the contemporary one.


The Storyspinner by Becky Wallace

I thought this debut novel was fantastic. I loved the world building and the characters and the political intrigue. Historical fantasy is a favorite genre of mine when it is done right and this definitely was. I think readers who liked Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers or Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes or The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson would like this too.


Rivals in the City by Y.S. Lee

I liked this finale to the Agency series. It was a little bittersweet to see all the things that have changed since the first book. The villain from A Spy in the House makes a return in this one. I think in the end it felt a little anticlimactic because we knew who the "bad guy" was.


Alienated by Melissa Landers

I enjoyed rereading Alienated before picking up the sequel. I really like Cara and the story was just as entertaining the second time around.


Fairest by Marissa Meyer

Levana is evil. So is her sister. This book makes it evident that even though Levana had something horrible happen to her when she was little (and I did feel sorry for her for that) she is an incredibly selfish and manipulative being but she comes from a really screwed up family and way of life. The only "good" characters are poor Sir Evret Hayle and his wife (parents of Winter, the heroine of the final book in the series).  A really dark book and one I'm glad I got from the library instead of buying. I did enjoy the excerpt of Winter at the back of the book. Can't wait for that one.


Invaded by Melissa Landers

Another excellent book in the series. Cara is now experiencing life on L'eihr while Aelyx is back on Earth trying to stay alive and keep the alliance going forward. Some interesting twists and I am eager for the next book. It will be a long wait...


Currently reading:


The Seasons of Trouble by Rohini Mohan

This is nonfiction about the war in Sri Lanka but the writing flows like fiction. Really good so far. Most of what I've read about Sri Lanka in recent years has been fiction and from a Sinhalese perspective so it is good to read the experiences of Tamil people in this one.


What I plan to read next:


The Ruby Circle by Richelle Mead

This is the final book in the Bloodlines series. It has been a long journey with these characters that were first introduced in the Vampire Academy series. I am looking forward to seeing how things wrap up. 









12 comments:

  1. A good number of books read. I like Susanna Kearsley books, but have a sort of love hate relationship to the mixed time frames. Kidney stones no fun and I hope I never get to know how much not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear you haven't been well, but glad you're on the mend - it looks like you had a busy week or fortnight though!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very eclectic mix of books, and looks like good reading. I hope you're feeling improved, that does not sound fun. I like the sound of Arrow and wish I would have started on that show...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comment disappeared!

    I hope you enjoy the Mohan book. Told from the perspective of an LTTE female former terrorist, the slightly disillusioned narration was an eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched a season of Cupcake Wars and then lost interest, the challenges only get more bizarre.
    I hope your kidney stones have settled.

    Read on!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh kidney stones are nasty ... hope you're feeling better this week. I would get so much more done if I could stop binge-watching certain addictive tv series lol. I like Arrow too. Glad your mum is doing so well, I can't believe it's been 12 months already. Hope the weather cooperates and you get home for a visit.

    Lots of great books for you ... I'm looking forward to A Desperate Fortune, hope to get to it in the next week or two. Alienated is on my TBR pile, I picked it up because I loved the cover (shallow I know) but I'm glad to hear it's a great read and I'm adding The Storyspinner to my wishlist just because you say it's fantastic!!

    Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had some snow melt, we're in the middle of a 3-day streak, breaking records in the Boston area. I didn't realize this was going to be the last Agency book. I have itvon my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are feeling better! Thinking of you! I'm glad the final book in The Agency series was good. I read the first and loved it, so I have no idea why I never continued with the series. The Storyspinner sounds like something I'd enjoy. I will have to check that out. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes kidney stones! Hopefully you are feeling much better! My brother gets those, they are no joke! Also, glad to hear that your mother is enjoying continued good health !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've really got to get ahold of Alienated I guess. And get started on the Cinder series. Two series I'm behind on! Hope you have a good week and get to feeling better!
    Check out my Monday post

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Ruby Circle! I can't wait to read that one. I love the Bloodlines series.


    My It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, kidney stones. Hope you're feeling better!

    *adds The Storyspinner to TBR* - it sounds awesome! The Ruby Circle! Mead's books are always great, so I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!