Monday, September 15, 2014

(Updated Version) It's Monday, What Are You Reading (190)



Now updated to include pictures and my thoughts on the books I read :)

It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

This post is late because I currently don't have access to my laptop as of Sunday morning. It is trapped in my home office with a six-legged, winged creature that may be a wasp or bee. I have a bug phobia especially when it comes to things that may sting (I have never been stung and hope to spend the rest of my life without experiencing that pleasure). I am hoping it will just die on its own but most likely I am going to have to gather my courage and my flyswatter and go to battle. Eventually...

Update:

It was a bee and it is now resting in peace thanks to the kindness of a neighbor. 

In the meantime I finally got to watch Outlander when I was visiting my sister (I loved it!) and now I am tempted to order cable even though I can't afford it. I will hopefully be able to catch up on episodes next time I visit her. She owes me for all the Gilmore Girls episodes I taped for her since she didn't get that show back in the day :)  I think the casting was really good and the show seems faithful to the book so far.



Books reviewed:


Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern
Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty


Books read:


Maybe This Christmas by Sarah Morgan

I thought this was a fun Christmas romance though not as good as book 1. I still haven't read book 2 but I may pick it up someday. While it is probably best to start at the beginning it is possible to read this as a standalone (or without reading the second book).



Evil Librarian by Michelle Knudsen

I liked Evil Librarian but not as much as I thought I would. I think there is definitely a "Buffy" kind of vibe to the story but it also reminded me of the snarky writing style of Rachel Hawkins.


Tarnish by Katherine Longshore

Tarnish provided a different view of Anne Boleyn so we get to see her before she caught Henry's interest and the story ended well before her time as queen.


The Perilous Sea by Sherry Thomas 

I loved this book. It is the sequel to The Burning Sky and I thought this book was even better than the first one. Lots of surprises and twists.


Currently reading:


The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (reread)

I am listening to this on audio which is a different experience from when I read the print version of the book. I think the narrator does a good job with Hazel's voice and that breathy quality when she is fighting for oxygen.

3 comments:

  1. LOL imagining you going into battle with your fly swatter has me laughing my head off, (but in total sympathy) I'm the same with cockroaches ... mutant hideous things they are. It's a toss up between doing battle and moving house ... I'm not kidding ... and mice too!!

    Enjoyed your review of Big Little Lies. I'm loving Outlander, first season will be over before we know it and I totally agree ... your sister owes you big time haha. Have a good week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Monday, and hope everything worked out with the flying bug! I got stung just last week by a wasp, I riled up a nest by accident (didn't know they were there) and was lucky to only get it once. Not fun. :)

    Nice review of Big Little Lies, that seems to be getting good buzz. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH! I am the same way with bugs, especially spiders, bees, wasps, etc. I am not a fan either! We had a wasp in our house last year and I literally hid from it for hours. Outlander is awesome and they aren't deviating too far from the book…there are a few scenes that aren't in the book, but I like what they have done with them so far. And of course, there are some scenes that made me cringe and I actually turned away during Jamie's flogging scene, but it's pretty darn good. Next week is the wedding (finally!) and I know everyone has been waiting for that! Enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!