Sunday, June 1, 2014

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (180)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I am so glad that June is finally here and summer reading programs start this week at the library. Usually I have the prizes for adult SRP ready to go (gift baskets that people earn tickets to win by reading) but I don't have a single basket finished. Oops. I have a busy week ahead of me at work. This year we only have 3 baskets instead of 6 to put together and we are giving away a grand prize (Kindle Fire HD). That will make it easier at least and hopefully our patrons will like it.

On the downside my car's AC and CD player have decided not to work. I am trying to be positive and appreciate the sunny days anyway and at least it isn't sweltering out yet. The CD player isn't as big of a deal as I have started listening to audio books on my iPhone while I drive (cranking the volume up nearly all the way). It's kind of nice in away since my CD player was so finicky about playing audio books. I was even able to download one for free from the library :)


Books reviewed:


Fool Me Twice by Mandy Hubbard


Books read:


The Staff of Serapis by Rick Riordan

I love the whole concept behind these novellas combining the worlds of the Kane Chronicles and the Percy Jackson series. I would love it even more if Rick Riordan would decide to write a whole novel or series featuring both the Egyptian and Greek and Roman gods and demigods. 


That Summer by Lauren Willig

This was a nice combination of historical fiction and contemporary fiction with elements of a mystery and some romance. I liked that it included the Pre-Raphaelites. 


Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern

I was worried that I wouldn't like this book because of all the hype (the blurb compares it to both The Fault in Our Stars and Eleanor and Park) but I ended up mostly enjoying it. 



It is hard to read about what these women endured but their stories are also uplifting and inspiring. I had heard of the Somaly Mam Foundation but I didn't know anything about her so when I saw she was one of the people featured in the book, I really wanted to read it. Because it is marketed for teens, the stories are not detailed biographies and not too graphic (though definitely more suited to older teens).


Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman (reread)

I read this book a few years ago and when I needed an audio book for a long drive I decided to check this out from the library to listen to on my iPhone. I love the narration. I think Jenna Lamia perfectly captured the voices of CeeCee as well as the other characters. Hearing the story read in Southern accents definitely added to the charm and atmosphere!



If you decide to read this book I recommend having ice cream on hand! It was fascinating to find out the history of ice cream and the ice cream making process. Lillian is quite a character. I felt sorry for her at times, admired her at times, and found her annoying or disappointing too. This might make a good book discussion book and readers who enjoyed The Shoemaker's Wife may like this as a less starry-eyed/more pessimistic alternative to the immigrant experience.


Currently reading:


Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman

Gretchen is the honorary "niece" of Adolph Hitler whom she calls "Uncle Dolf". Her dad died saving Hitler's life in the 20's and Hitler kind of took them under his wing and has been indoctrinating her in his twisted beliefs. Then she stops her brother from beating up a Jewish man and she finds out her dad may have been murdered by another member of the Nazi party. The story is interesting but because Gretchen is so brainwashed I find her annoying too. Hopefully she wises up to the truth about her "Uncle Dolf" soon...


The Help by Kathryn Stockett (reread)

This is the first time I am listening to the audio version (I read the novel back in 2011) and I love it so far. I am glad that Octavia Spencer is the narrator for Minnie. I thought she was fantastic in the movie.


What I might read next:

Nantucket Sisters by Nancy Thayer

This author is hit or miss with me but I thought this story sounded like a great summer read and I like the setting so hopefully I will enjoy it.


Of Marriageable Age by Sharon Maas

I think this book sounds so good and I enjoyed the sample I read on Amazon so I requested it for review. 


Waiting on You by Kristan Higgins

I am not sure if I will get to this book yet but it is a library book with holds so I want to read it soon.

17 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of some but your rereads are great, enjoy the audios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your AC, and good luck with the summer reading plan. Nice grand prize. Don't know much about That Summer, but I like the cover... looks like some good reads last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots here that I have either read or am interested in. I want to try a Lauren Willig book at some time and possibly this could be the one. I loved Octavia Spencer too as Minnie and loved the book as well.
    Hope all those nice things happening at your work get off the ground really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. I couldn't survive without AC! Eeks. I had to go through two weeks with no AC in the middle of Phoenix summer and I about lost it. Bummer over both AC and CD player failing :(

    All the books sound great. I need to add a few to my TBR pile. I love that Octavia Spencer is the narrator for Minnie on the audiobook. I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's summer reading season! I really do look forward to it each year and encourage as many people as I know about it. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great selection and I too love the audiobook downloads free from libraries - perfect for audiobook month additions =)
    thanks for the intros and feedback...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of Marriageable Age sounds interesting. Happy reading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing you guys make baskets for the patrons, I'm sure they'll continue to appreciate the effort you put into it! 'Of Marriageable Age' looks really interesting! Actually you have a lot of very interesting books on that list! I still haven't read 'The Help' but I'm planning on getting on that! I hope you enjoy your reading!
    My Monday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I was at your library, I would love that prize!

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with making baskets…sounds fun! I wish I went to your library. Enjoy your books this week. I can't wait to read your review of Willig's latest….sounds like my kind of read. I also am dying to read Nantucket Sisters. I look forward to your thoughts on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you can get your AC fixed before it gets too hot! Good luck with the success of the Summer Library program

    Have a great reading week
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Ice Cream book looks really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Willig book is new to me--I'll have to add it to my list. The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street was one of the giveaways at BEA last week and they were giving out ice cream with it. I missed it because I was on another author's line.

    My Sunday/Monday post: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2014/06/weekly-book-recap-69.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree, Thayer is hit or miss for me too. I hope it is as good as it looks! I will wait for your review. ;)

    I love the sound of your summer reading program! And you reminded me that I need to sign up for the one at my library as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a great collection. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to be a member at your library, what wonderful reading incentives. I thought the audio narration on The Help was brilliant. Since you loved Jenna Lamia's narration in Saving CeeCee, I'm sure you'd like The Secret Life of Bees ... have you listened to it?

    You've got so many great books lined up, I've got a couple of Nancy Thayer's on my bookshelf. Love the cover of Of Marriageable Age, looking forward to your thoughts on it. Have a wonderful week and happy reading :)
    I couldn't survive without car AC, hope yours is fixed soon but enjoy the warm, sunny weather.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hope your car's AC starts working again!

    I've heard nothing but good things about the audio version of THE HELP. Can't wait to see your thoughts :)

    Happy reading / listening!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!