Sunday, February 3, 2013

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (136)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

It is always a relief to me when I've moved past book group week and the hurried reading of my book group books. This week, I will be reading in a more relaxed way and reading books I want to read just for fun.

It looks like a week for reading about thieves and scoundrels. Even Wolf, the love interest from Scarlet is a scoundrel. And no one can beat the ultimate nice guy/scoundrel, Han Solo ;)


Books read:


A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

While there were some parts that dragged, I thought this was a fantastic book in the end and so did most of my book group members.


Also Known As by Robin Benway

I thought this was a fun take on the teen spy trope though it wasn't as good as my personal favorites, the Gallagher Girls books by Ally Carter.


Currently reading:


Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

I made a little progress with Les Miserables this week and am now finally at the part where Jean Valjean is introduced. Hopefully the story will pick up its pace now...but I doubt it...\


Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn

While I prefer the suspense and writing from Zahn's Thrawn trilogy (plus I miss Luke and Leia and the droids) this is still a fun book and very reminiscent of Ocean's Eleven and other heist stories but with the Star Wars treatment.


What I plan to read next:


Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

I have a gift card that I've been saving for this book (as well as The Indigo Spell and Perfect Scoundrels). I loved Cinder and can't wait to read Scarlet as everyone seems to think it is even better than the first book.


Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter

While it isn't as good as the Gallagher Girls series, I also really enjoy these books and reading the new novella just made me want to read Perfect Scoundrels more. 



12 comments:

  1. I picked up Les Miserables around Christmas I think for my e-reader. Haven't read it, but have very good intentions :)

    Whatcha readin' this week @ the Brunette Librarian and Don't forget to enter to win Philippa Gregory's "Changeling"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. You've been reading Les Mis for a while and Valjean has just been introduced? Not good! I love the musical and keep thinking I need to read the book some day.

    Now that I've finished Cinder, I can't wait for Scarlet either! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started Also Known As and am liking it so far (only been one chapter though so it's hard to have too much of an opinion). Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. seeing the JA reference in your profile, wondering if you celebrated with us this past week for the 200th ann of P&P? def a lot of FuN!
    and if you're into hist, etc, perhaps you'd like the Scotland Reading Challenge? only takes 1 book to participate =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh! hope you enjoy scarlet! i hear it's really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Cinder too and can't wait to read Scarlet ... hope it's just as brilliant! Have a wonderful week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also picked up Les Mis for my e-reader, and haven't started it. I love Owen Meany!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to give Scoundrels a read - Zahn has always done an amazing job with his Star Wars titles.

    Here's what I'm reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Zahn's novels. I can't wait to get my hands on Scoundrels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Star Wars: Scoundrels book looks like fun! Hope you enjoy Scarlet - it was so, so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard such great things about Owen Meany...can't wait to hear your thoughts. I read Les Mis a long time ago and remember that I struggled with parts of it. Good luck and enjoy your books this week!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!