Thursday, August 23, 2012

Review: Darth Vader and Son

Darth Vader and Son
By Jeffrey Brown
Published: April 18, 2012

My review:

From cozy scenes of Darth Vader fixing Luke breakfast to Luke's tantrums when he can't go to Tosche Station, Darth Vader and Son imagines what it would be like if the Lord Vader was raising four year old Luke Skywalker (but not in an "I'm grooming you to be evil" kind of way). 

I love the idea of this book and thought the illustrations were creative and cute. I enjoyed the way the author pays tribute to the films by his illustrations and quotes. One of my favorite scenes involves Luke refusing to clean up his room: "Luke, pick up your toys this instant. Luke, I am your father. Do you want a time-out?". The illustrations feature fun imagery from the movies and cameo appearances from other characters such as a young Princess Leia, Han Solo, and Lando Calrissian.

While I think kids would really like this book, it is probably adults who will most appreciate its charm. The book is more like a collection of Star Wars comics than a cohesive story but it is still a lot of fun to read and would be a great gift book especially for fathers who love Star Wars to share with their kids. 


3 comments:

  1. I've seen some of these online and they are just so cute! I'm also happy to hear that we get to see Leia (since he's her dad too!), Han, and Lando.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so adorable and fun! So weird to think of Darth Vader raising a kid, though ;)

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!