Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Review: Spring Fever

Spring Fever
By Mary Kay Andrews
Release date: June 5, 2012

My review:


Annajane Hudgens is finally leaving her past and the town of Passcoe, NC behind and moving on to a new career and a new guy-or so she thinks. On the day of her ex-husband's remarriage, Annajane is shocked to realize that she still has feelings for him and that he may still have feelings for her. When the wedding is postponed due to a health emergency and circumstances work to keep Annajane in Passcoe a little longer, it looks like Annajane might have a second shot at love.


Spring Fever is a fun cinematic romance, the kind of story that would work as a romantic comedy movie. In fact it reminded me a little bit of Sweet Home Alabama. Annajane had a crush on Mason Bayless, her best friend Pokey's big brother when she was a kid but he doesn't notice her till she is 19. They have a summer fling that leaves Annjane with a broken heart when Mason seems to forget about her when he returns to college. They reconnect a few years later at Pokey's wedding when Mason convinces her to give him another chance. A brief marriage ends due to neglect and distrust. Now with Mason about to get remarried and Annajane engaged to someone else, they are still undeniably bound to each other. 


I really enjoyed the second chance romance story line. It was nice to see Annajane and Mason's relationship develop and see how much they've changed from who they were before, particularly Annajane. The secondary characters could have been a little more developed but I liked Pokey and the way she championed the efforts to get her stubborn best friend and brother back together. The emphasis on family relationships and Mason's protectiveness towards his family really appealed to me. Mason is not a perfect hero but that just makes him more likeable. The villain was two dimensional but that didn't bother me. It was fun to see her get her comeuppance. 


Passcoe, NC is a small town known for Quixie, the soda company that Mason's family owns. Annajane works for Quixie, taking care of marketing and advertising campaigns. These details add to the story but I didn't find them as interesting as I'd hoped. Mary Kay Andrews is known for including details of living in the South as well as the career of her heroine. In the other books I've read, she describes what it's like to be an antique "picker" or an interior decorator and I found that to be really interesting compared to this. Thankfully Spring Fever has a stronger focus on the romance that pulled me in instead.


Overall, I think this is my favorite of the author's books and I loved the romance. I think this would make a great beach read when you are in the mood for a light romance that sparkles with humor and warmth.


Note: I received an e-ARC for review through NetGalley

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited to read this one - hopefully I can get my hands on a copy this summer. It seems like the perfect beach read, especially since you enjoyed the romance. :) Great review, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a bad person but I see the MC's name and I just think of it as two names smushed together-choose between Anna and Jane!

    But that aside, this sounds really cute. I tend to read more love at first sight than second-chance love stories so it would be a good change. And the flip-flops scream summer read to me-got to put this on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping to read this one soon myself. It seems like a sweet and lovely read. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!