Sunday, May 1, 2011

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (61)



It's Monday What Are You Reading? is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. I always enjoy seeing what other people have read and reviewed over the past week. It is also a great way to find new books to add to that ever-growing TBR list!

It has been a couple of weeks since my last Monday post. I have been down with a sinus infection. I am still not completely recovered but I am doing a lot better after two weeks of it. This is my first ever sinus infection so I was unprepared for being knocked down by it and missing so much work and blogging and life. Glad to be back to somewhat normal!

Books finished (over the past two weeks):


Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys

If you cry easily when you read, make sure you've got some tissues on hand for this one. Between Shades of Gray is a book that really grips your emotions. It is based on true events-Stalin's ethnic cleansing of the Baltic States (Lithuania, Estonia, and Latvia).


The Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew

I really liked The Dry Grass of August. It reminded me of The Secret Life of Bees. It has been compared to The Help but I haven't read that one yet so I don't know how it stacks up. I have a feeling I will find The Help to be a better book.


This could have been a fantastic book with a positive message for young women but it disappointed me in the end. There are things that happen where the characters do not really face consequences and considering what the book is about that kind of ruined it for me.

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

While I didn't like it as much as the first three books in the Mortal Instruments series it was still an excellent book and I can't wait for the next one. Simon definitely gets his moment to shine in City of Fallen Angels and the ending is a cliffhanger of sorts.

Wrapped by Jennifer Bradbury

This is such a fun YA historical mystery set during the Regency and featuring Egyptology. While I did guess who the culprit was, it was still an enjoyable adventure with a spunky and intelligent heroine/amateur detective and her dashing sidekick. If you are a fan of Jane Austen you're in for a treat.

Sixteenth Summer by Michelle Dalton

I read this in one afternoon-I kind of had to because it was e-ARC that expires when the book is published. It was such a sweet story though (and you will crave ice cream when you read this-trust me). Sixteenth Summer really put me in the mood for warm summer days and my favorite strawberry banana smoothies :)



Books reviewed:

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Currently reading:


I am slowly reading this one on my laptop (it's an e-galley from NetGalley) since I don't have a Kindle yet. It started off well and hopefully I will get to finish it this week. I am hoping to review it for Royal Reviews next week.

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman

This is the book I started rereading instead of reading Unearthly since I own a copy (and don't care as much if it gets my germs on it). Eon is one of my favorite YA fantasy books. I just got the sequel Eona and I look forward to reading it soon too. 

What I plan to read next:

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

I started reading this before I became ill and I quit reading it because I didn't want to sneeze and cough all over my library books. Now that I am finally starting to feel better I will be picking this back up. It is pretty good so far. I also need to read this soon as it is now overdue!



Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn

I am determined to read this book soon. I need to get to the rest of the series before I read The Dark Enquiry which I have for review.

Eona by Alison Goodman

I have been waiting for this book since I finished Eon in 2009. It is a really long book but I can't wait to dig in.





15 comments:

  1. Your books look quite diverse and fun, enjoy and have a fabulous week. My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/05/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-37.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same thoughts on Wrapped, I knew who the villain was but still had a lot of fun reading it!

    My what are you reading post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unearthly looks really good! I just ordered my copy of Between Shades of Gray yesterday and can't wait to read it ^-^ I've really been looking forward to Wrapped! Hope you enjoy!

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Dry Grass of August sounds great and Between Shades of Gray is on my wishlist! Great list this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. High five! I'm about to read UNEARTHLY next :)
    And oh no! I've got HOOPSKIRT on my tbr pile, thinking it looked good...but you point you made is something that matters to me too. I'll be interested to see your review! :DD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Between Shades of Gray looks heartbreaking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many pretty covers! Last week was all about finishing textbooks and relaxing with manga. Come see what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So good to hear you are doing better. Hope you continue to get passed the infection. I am currently listening to City of Fallen Angels and while I am enjoying it so far I would agree it is not as fantastic as the other three books in the series. I am glad you liked Warped and hoe to read that one soon. Take care and feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to read more of City of Fallen Angels. I started the first fifty pages or so when I was on the plane coming back from vacation and I can tell it's good, but not as good as the first three. :( I agree with you regarding Sixteenth Summer. I also can't wait to read your review of Between Shades of Gray- I've heard it's a powerful read. I hope you get to read Unearthly soon. It's soo good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your books look so good.... I would like to try The Dry Grass of August (maybe in August?)

    The Help is a fantastic read and now in paperback! I hope you get a chance to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great-looking books! Hope you enjoy them...

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  12. 16th summer looks so so cute!! awesome books this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, so sorry to hear about your sinus infection, those are definitely exhausting!

    I really enjoyed Unearthly and I LOVE the Lady Julia series, hope you enjoy them both :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw Eona in the library and wasn't sure if I would like it, but hearing your good review of Eon I'm going to grab it and see how it goes. Wrapped sounds great too. I love spunky/intelligent heroines. Enjoy your week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!