Sunday, January 21, 2018

Sunday Post (101)



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

I can't believe I am posting two weeks in a row! Maybe this is the start of a new beginning when it comes to writing. I still haven't written a book review in months but I hope to write something for this week. We'll see how that goes!

I am glad that we've got a break from the snow and the weather has warmed up. It is supposed to be in the 50s on Monday and even though rain is in the forecast I am thrilled. Hopefully the last of the snow will melt.

At work the reading challenge is going well with over 30 people signed up to participate so far. I also have finally have some programs planned. I have been struggling with that and I wanted to try some new programs this year that might bring in more people. One of my ideas is a themed trivia night. I also have some summer reading program ideas including a wine making program. One of my coworkers makes wine so she is going to do the program for me for free. 


Books read:


The Siege Winter by Ariana Franklin and Samantha Norman

I really liked this one. Some great characters (especially Gwil and Penda) and some suspense as well. I am curious to see how the other book club members liked it.


Books listened to:


The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan (reread)


Currently reading:


American Panda by Gloria Chao

I am enjoying this book so far. It reminds me of When Dimple Met Rishi.


On my TBR pile:


The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

I am excited to read this one! I hope I'll get to it soon but I may have to read To Capture What We Cannot Keep first because it is for my book group.


To Capture What We Cannot Keep by Beatrice Colin

I selected this for my afternoon book group because I thought I'd read some good reviews of it but when I looked it up on Goodreads it had mixed reviews. Now I'm worried it'll be a dud. 



New books received:



The Boat People by Sharon Bala

The Widows of Malabar Hill by Sujata Massey

13 comments:

  1. Themed trivia nights sound fun! Good luck with your programs this year. And I'll take some 50's too. We still have a bit of snow but it has been melting the last few days, with the sun being out.

    The Siege Winter looks nice, and what a beautiful cover on To Capture! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A reading challenge at work sounds like so much fun! And a reading program that also becomes a wine-making class is such a great idea!
    Your new books this week look awesome, Christina, I hope you'll enjoy them!
    Have a wonderful week ahead and happy reading.
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like some great reads! I want to read American Panda and The Great Alone.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather here is warmer as well. All the snow melted and now we are left with mud. So much mud. My dogs are thrilled! My house-not so much. oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover for To Capture What We Cannot Keep and hopefully the book will live up to it. Mixed reviews are always a bit scary. I really want to try Kristin Hannah and I need to read more Riordan. So far I've only listened to the first Percy Jackson which I enjoyed but definitely need to read more. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find that the library journals are much more reliable than GR reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for warmer weather! I hope the warm weather hangs around for your sake. Sounds like your reading challenge has a good turn out! That's great news. I love the idea of the themed trivia nights and wine making program.

    I hope you enjoy all your new books! I am looking forward to The Boat People in particular. Hopefully To Capture What We Cannot Keep will be good. It sounds good.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am looking forward to reading Kristin Hannah's latest novel as well. I have high hopes, because I absolutely loved The Nightingale. I will have to check out Siege Winter....sounds interesting! I hope you have a good week and enjoy the mild temperatures for the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like the idea of the themed trivia nights...and I am also going to be reading The Great Alone soon. Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your week. Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  10. Themed trivia nights sounds like it could be fun. I hope the book you chose for your afternoon book group isn't a dud. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am looking forward to The Great Alone too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m looking forward to hearing what you think of The Great Alone. I’m excited about that one, too. Have a good week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!