Sunday, November 5, 2017

Sunday Post (98) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

Hard to believe it's November! Seems like it was just summer. I know this month will fly by and it will be Christmas in the blink of an eye. Time to get the snow tires put back on my car and start making holiday plans. It's also time to think about what books I want to read before the end of the year. I have a giant backlog of review books and I know I won't get to all of them. I also have a stack checked out from the library. 

In library world I've been busy. In October I had a program nearly every week. My favorite was my acrylic pour painting class. We had 20 people and it was a big hit. This month I have two programs, an ugly Christmas sweater craft night on Thursday (they bring a sweater or shirt and I provide decorations to make it ugly/tacky) and then at the end of the month is our ugly Christmas sweater themed murder mystery dinner. I have one program for December (a craft night) and then I'm done for the year. I'm also starting to think about programs for next year. I decided not to do a winter reading program. Instead I want to do a year-long reading challenge for adults that would also incorporate our summer reading program. It's still in the planning stages but hopefully it will work out. Right now I'm trying to figure out an easy way for them to track their progress. 

This week I hope to get caught up on some book reviews. I've had some major sinus headache issues lately and haven't felt like writing or even reading that much. I have been watching a lot of TV though. Getting caught up on The Flash and Supergirl at the moment as well as watching old episodes of Frasier


Books read:


What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

I thought this book was both sad and interesting. I didn't know much about Hillary Clinton's early life and it was also illuminating to learn more about her campaign and her plans even if things didn't work out the way she'd hoped. 


Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

I love Agatha Christie and I read a lot of her novels when I was a teen, including this one but to my surprise I'd completely forgotten what happened so it was like reading the book for the first time! My book group enjoyed reading this for our October book and I had planned to go see the latest film version in the theater but changed my mind. I will definitely be checking the movie out when it is on DVD though.

Leia: Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray

I loved this book! It is set a few years before Rogue One. Leia is a teen and as the heir to the Queen of Alderaan she has to undergo a set of trials to prove herself worthy to rule. She also joins the Apprentice Legislature (junior senate) to learn about politics and prepare for public life. Then she finds out that her parents are part of a rebellion and that's where things get interesting. Also we are introduced to a teenage Amilyn Holdo (a new character in The Last Jedi) and get to see other familiar characters from the Star Wars universe as well. 


Currently reading:


Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow

This biography is surprisingly very readable. I became interested in learning more about Alexander Hamilton because of the Broadway musical. I have been listening to the soundtrack a lot and hope to go see it next year. The book is long but I am enjoying it so far. I may set it aside to get caught up on some review books though.


Alex & Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz

I wasn't planning to read this yet but I got the e-book from Overdrive after being on hold for a long time and it is going to be due next week so I need to read it! I hope I will like it. Melissa de la Cruz's books are definitely hit or miss with me. 


On my TBR pile:



I need to read this soon since there are holds on it and it is due back to the library next week. Thankfully it is a collection of short stories so hopefully I'll get through it. I am ready for more Star Wars stories :)



This is another book due back at the library soon. I really enjoyed the first book Meet Me at the Cupcake Cafe and I'm in the mood for some holiday reading. Also I really want to eat that cookie. 


The Deal of a Lifetime by Fredrik Backman

I enjoyed the author's last novella, And Every Morning The Way Home Gets Longer and Longer and this one looks like it will be just as moving. I like that it is a holiday story too. Love that beautiful tree on the cover.



12 comments:

  1. I am hoping to read What Happened soon. My mom gifted it to me and I love Hillary, so I look forward to checking it out, although I am sure it will depress me! I read Alex & Eliza this year. It was decent! de la Cruz is hit or miss for me as well! I hope you enjoy it! I read my first Jenny Colgan novel this past year and look forward to your thoughts on this one - love a good Christmasy read! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve just started Leonardo da Vinci. There are a lot of parallels between the lives of creative men, I think.

    I love all your ideas for the library, especially winter reading. It’s such a good time to read.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/11/nonfiction-november-your-year-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice mix of genres in your reading world! I'd like to get to the Clinton book but doubt I will be able to find it here. It sounds like an intriguing one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about reading Murder on the Orient Express with the movie releasing soon! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your headaches get better soon. I’m on a waiting list for the Clinton book, so I’m glad you thought it was interesting. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't go for the Jenny Colgan book because if I read it I want to read the previous one first. Sinus headache is horrible, my sympathy and hope its clearing. I have wondered about the Hilary Clinton book, I see the audio version is at our local library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should reread Murder on the Orient Express. Like you, I read it years ago and have forgotten what happened. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have only read one Fredrik Bachman book (A Man Called Ove), but I enjoyed it. I also have the "Grandmother" book waiting on Pippa.

    I want to read the Hilary Clinton book...

    Since Murder on the Orient Express is coming to the theater, I should read this one. Either before or after.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you feel better soon! I can't wait for Murder on the Orient Express. I need to read it still though. I have only read one Christie book but I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Summer was a blur for me with moving twice in short order. I did manage to read Alex and Eliza during that tie and now my daughter is reading it. Come see what I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leia sounds great and since I'm 2-2 with Claudia Grays Star Wars books, this one is a probably read for me also. Not to plug my own site lol but I am reviewing the Certain Point of View book on Thursday- it was an interesting mix, as most anthologies are, of good and kinda meh stories.

    I'm sure Clinton's book is both sad and interesting, and I want to read it. Ditto with Orient Express! Want to read it and then watch the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your programs sound amazing! Ugly Christmas sweater craft night, that is brilliant :D

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!