Sunday, February 5, 2017

Sunday Post (78) / It's Monday, What Are You Reading



The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme now hosted by Kathryn at Book Date, where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

Not much happened this week. I have been having some minor sore throat issues for the past several days. I don't know what is causing it but I've been drinking lots of tea to help. This week I have to go to the dentist because a piece of my tooth broke off. I'm not in any pain and it was a small piece so hopefully I won't lose the tooth or need any expensive procedure. If it isn't my car, it's my teeth. Grr. 

In positive news I had a great evening book discussion with some new people showing up. Everyone liked Little Women but some people ended up with copies that only had the first part of the story. Thankfully they'd seen the movie so they could participate in the discussion. I also have a vacation planned for this spring. My parents and I will be going to Savannah to see my uncle and aunt. It's nice to have something to look forward to.

At the library I am planning more programs. I haven't made much progress with the Peeps Diorama contest idea. I also have to decide if I am going to charge for attendance at our paint night. It is so expensive and I know of another library that charged patrons half the price (the Friends of the Library paid the other half). I have never charged for any of my programs so I'm a little worried about even charging half price.  

I know Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow but it is supposed to warm up here later this week and I hope spring is around the corner. Besides, what do groundhogs know about the weather? :) Have a great week!


Last week on my blog:




On Second Thought by Kristan Higgins (review)


Books read:



Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (reread)



To my surprise I did like this book and got sucked into the story. My favorite part was reading about Neave and her sister, their makeup business and the suspense plot. In between are chapters of The Pirate Lover, Neave's favorite romance novel (it ties in with the main story). 


March: Book Two by John Lewis

I thought this was really good. This second volume covered Lewis's time as a Freedom Rider and the March on Washington. 



Currently reading:



March: Book Three by John Lewis


Currently listening to:



Starflight by Melissa Landers (reread)



On my TBR pile:


My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella

While I've lost interest in the Becky Bloomwood books I'm hoping that this will be better.


The Chilbury Ladies Choir by Jennifer Ryan

I think this sounds really good and I have high hopes for it. It is set in an English village during WWII and the synopsis reminds me of the TV series Homefires as well as The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (it is also told in letters).


New books received:




The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (for review)


My Not So Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella (for review)

Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller (won)


14 comments:

  1. Ugh. I hope your throat feels better soon. My son brought home a nasty virus from preschool and shared it with all of us. I am down for the count. It's horrible. I hope your tooth is ok. Dental work is the WORST. Good luck with all your library programs. I know my library charges for a lot of programs as well. I look forward to your thoughts on Ladies' Choir. I love the sound of it. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better. I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts on "The Hate U Give".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Savannah! It's always nice having a vacation to look forward to. I've been sick too (seems like everyone is)!

    Starflight seems like it would be a good audio. That reminds me that Starfall is not fr away either. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I broke the same tooth twice and both times had to get it fixed. Such a nuisance...I've had my eyes on the March books and really want to read them. Now you've got me all curious about The Romance Reader's Guide to Life. LOL Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never reread Little Women but did enjoy the movie. Liked your review of On Second Thought, I'll happily read her books like this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the cover for Romance Reader's Guide to Life - gorgeous! Enjoy the rest of your books, they all look great.

    Happy reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder why the classic was missing the ending of Little Women, weird. I have seen The Hate U Give around a lot, this is the year for books that will start some hard discussions I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate breaking teeth...I've had some that required crowns, which is a tedious process. Good luck on yours.

    I have been eyeing Swimming Lessons.

    Enjoy your week, and here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to read Little Women at some point. It's been on my shelf for a while now, but I keep avoiding it because generally speaking I hate classics. I've been seeing March quite a big on blogs, but hadn't heard of it until the last week or two, I should check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope everything goes well at the dentist's. I hate having to have dental work done. Is your throat any better? I hope so.

    I am glad the book discussion for Little Women went well. I still haven't read that one. I hope things work out for your paint night. I would pay for something like that, but I can't speak for others.

    I am glad you will be able to go on vacation this spring. I would love to visit Savannah someday.

    Enjoy your new books and have a great week, Christina!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the cover, blurb and your positive thoughts on The Romance Readers Guide. I want to check that one out.

    Sorry you are having nuisance issues- illness, teeth, car, weather, etc, so far this year. Hope you enjoy March by John Lewis. My husband was thinking of reading it after seeing him on tv and hearing it discussed.

    Have a better week ahead and feel better soon! You have that great trip to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope the sore throat goes away soon. I still need to read the whole March series. Books 2 and 3 are on my current book order. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ended up in the dentist's chair last week, unfortunately I will need a crown! Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry about your sore throat! Hopefully you feel better soon. :(

    Swimming Lessons is on my list. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!