Sunday, December 14, 2014

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (198)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.


I meant to post this earlier but this is a picture of the homemade ornaments I made for our library's open house. The small teal one is actually a clear glass ornament filled with old nail polish and the pink and blue one is filled with acrylic paint.  The  other clear glass ornament is filled with vintage looking Christmas sheet music. I also put together paperclip angel ornaments. Those were fun and easy to do once I found a good step by step picture tutorial on Pinterest. 

I had planned to have some reviews written for this coming week but that didn't quite happen. Instead of spending my free time writing reviews, I have been getting ready for Christmas festivities by looking at cookie and toffee recipes on Pinterest. My goal is to successfully make saltine toffee a.k.a. "Christmas Crack" this year. One of my mom's former coworkers used to give it to her as a gift every year and she gave us the recipe but whenever we made it, the toffee part would get kind of soft and gooey instead of nice and crisp the way hers was. I have been doing some research to try to figure out why ours didn't turn out right and I am hopeful that this time we will succeed. If you've made it before do you have any pointers?

My other project is to make something to wear for the Ugly Christmas Sweater/Shirt contest at our staff Christmas breakfast this Friday. I think I finally have my idea figured out and I bought some nice and fairly cheap gaudy decorations at Wal-Mart today. It has been years since I've used a glue gun so wish me luck! We are also going to have a Wii Bowling tournament. Librarians know how to have fun :)

I am leaving on Friday to spend a week with my parents for Christmas and I may also stay with my sister the weekend after Christmas. If I can, I will post next Sunday but if not, have a Merry Christmas!


Books read:


Royal Blood by Rhys Bowen

I didn't like this one as much as the others in the series. It was a little bizarre and I was annoyed with Georgie for thinking that there were vampires in the castle. The mystery didn't make sense either.


Naughty in Nice by Rhys Bowen

I really liked this one and couldn't figure out who the killer was. I liked the setting and the humor especially when Georgie gets to make her horrid sister-in-law seethe with jealousy.


Currently reading:



I really wanted to read this book at Christmas and it is a good book for this time of year. I think people could enjoy it without having read previous books. I haven't figured out who the killer is yet but I have a potential suspect in mind. We'll see if I am right...


What I plan to read next:


Heirs and Graces by Rhys Bowen

6 comments:

  1. Twelve Clues was my first book of these, and I liked it. I may read Heirs and the one set in nice. Wii bowling sound like fun. Enjoy your time with family and have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ornaments turned out so nice! I love stuff like that! Have fun at your Christmas party!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your Christmas celebrations!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are having a fun and very Christmas-y week. I love that Christmas Crack you are talking about. I had it for the first time a few years ago, but have never made it. Good luck! Oh, and LOVE those ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done so well with the festive preparations. Enjoy the family time as well.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!