Sunday, July 20, 2014

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (186)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

It's been a quiet week now that my reading program is over at the library. I am now working on my next project which is weeding the fiction because we are going to be moving our genre fiction out of the fiction stacks and setting them apart so they are easier to browse. I like how easy it is to find fiction by genre in bookstores and I think our patrons will prefer it that way. It will take some time and we will probably still be working on it into the new year!

I had the weekend off and planned to get more reading done. I finished one book yesterday but my eyes decided they were tired today and became blurry so I've been listening to audio instead. 


Books reviewed:


Love by the Morning Star by Laura L. Sullivan


Books read:


Night of a Thousand Stars by Deanna Raybourn

This is a companion novel to City of Jasmine and it acts as a bridge of sorts between the author's 1920s historical novels and her Lady Julia mysteries. I enjoyed the adventure but I think I liked City of Jasmine more. The ending kind of disappointed me but I am hoping the next book will wrap things up even if Poppy is not the focus.


Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran

This is the book we are reading for my evening book discussion group. It is about three sisters who escaped Iran and have come to Ireland to open a restaurant. Some of the villagers are welcoming while others are afraid of their "foreign ways". I liked the recipes and descriptions of food (it has drawn comparisons to Chocolat) and while I liked the main characters, I think the book could have used more character development.


Currently reading:


The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan (reread)

I am almost done with this audio book and should have it finished this week so I can get started on The Son of Neptune.


What I plan to read next:


The Fever Tree by Jennifer McVeigh

This is my afternoon book group's selection. It is a historical fiction novel set in South Africa during the 1880s.


The Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan (reread)

16 comments:

  1. I'll be watching out for your thoughts on The Fever Tree, all the South African historical fiction I've read has been heartbreaking but so worth reading. I know I'd love browsing the library by genre just like in the bookstores, but it sounds like a huge job. Our local libraries aren't that progressive lol.

    Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting way for a library to organise its fiction books. Will be interesting to hear the feedback from your patrons when it is done. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the project- I think sorting fiction that way is a great idea. Night of a Thousand stars sounds interesting, I've never read Raybourn but heard the Lady Julia mysteries are good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How are you liking that Heroes of Olympus series? I never quite into it, but have heard great things. I love the Percy Jackson series and enjoy Rick Riordan's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pomegranate Soup has an interesting premise. Happy reading :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your library project…it sounds involved! I am intrigued by The Fever Tree…definitely sounds like a book I'd enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read the first book by the author of Pomegranate Soup. I really liked it. Would love to read Pomegranate Soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not heard of some of those and I so need to get on the ball and read the Rick Riordan ones. :) Happy reading.

    Stormi
    http://www.booksmoviesreviewsohmy.com/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-75/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice looking assortment of books. Good luck dividing your fiction by genres. It sounds like a lot of work but should help browsing genre readers. Come see my week. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the whole Heroes of Olympus series and can't wait for the Blood of Olympus in October. I also loved the Lady Julia mysteries. Enjoy your week!
    My It's Monday, What are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Night of A Thousand Stars looks good.

    I read The Fever Tree. Very good book. I hope you like it.

    Pomegranate Soup sounds interesting.

    ENJOY your reading week and all your books.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday, What Are You Reading

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a great project, but a lot of work!! I hope it goes well and that you enjoy your books this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like the Lady Julia books so I'll give her other ones a try. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to admit I'm not a fan of genre browsing because I like exploring everything but my local library uses it and I know most find it more convenient.

    Have a great reading week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Fever Tree sounds intriguing!

    Good luck with organizing by genre! Definitely easier to browse when books are organized that way :)

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!