Sunday, June 15, 2014

It's Monday, What Are You Reading (181)



It's Monday, What Are You Reading is a fun weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey where we share what we've read and reviewed over the past week and what we plan to read next.

Happy Father's Day! I just got back from spending the weekend with my parents. Friday was my mom's birthday and on Saturday we went to my sister's house for a birthday/Father's Day cookout. The weather was absolutely gorgeous and perfect for traveling.


Books reviewed:


Twelfth Night by Deanna Raybourn


Books read:


Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman

This was an interesting historical suspense novel featuring a young German teen growing up under the power of Hitler and her journey to break away and discover the truth.


Vintage by Susan Gloss

Vintage is the story of a group of women who meet at a vintage clothing store and help each other through difficult times.


Take Back the Skies by Lucy Saxon

I think this has more of a steampunk historical feel than a science fiction novel but it also has some dystopian elements to it.  The book's description doesn't quite do it justice so I was really taken by surprise by how much more there is to the story. 


The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (reread)

I listened to this on audio and I have to say that I prefer the narrator for the spin-off series, The Heroes of Olympus. That narrator does a better job of giving the various characters unique voices. Jesse Bernstein is kind of terrible with accents and at times Annabeth sounded like Percy. Still the story was entertaining enough to keep me going.


The Weight of Blood by Laura McHugh

This is the June book discussion selection for my afternoon book group. I thought it was creepy and atmospheric and suspenseful. I am not sure if the other book group members will like it as much as I did. It is a pretty dark story and only a few of the characters are likable. 


Currently reading:


The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (reread)


What I plan to read next:


Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler

This is the June book selection for my evening book group and I believe that the story is inspired by the author's own family history.

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had some lovely family time and got some great reading in too. Winter has arrived in Australia, although I'm sure it's not that cold in comparison to what you're used to lol. I haven't seen Vintage around but I like the sound of it. Have a great week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take Back The Lies sounds interesting. Have a great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely selection of books. Twelfth Night by Deanna Raybourn is a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a nice weekend with your family. The weather is fantastic, isn't it? I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Prisoner of Night and Fog. Vintage seems really cute as well…love that cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of great books. Good for you! I'd be lost except for children's books lately.

    Here's my It's Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice assortment of books. You've made me curious about Take Back the Skies. I'll have to add it to my list. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the look of Take Back the Skies, and would still like to read the Percy Jackson books at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a lovely day with your family, yay! Vintage and Calling Me Home both sound like books I would love. :) I always find so many books over here to read! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fathers Day isn't until September here in Australia. Weird huh?

    Have a great reading week,
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would love to read the first two books! They've been on my to read list for a long time!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!