Thursday, April 4, 2013

Review: Going Vintage

Going Vintage
By Lindsey Leavitt
Published: March 26, 2013


When Mallory discovers that her boyfriend, Jeremy, is cheating on her with an online girlfriend, she swears off boys. She also swears off modern technology. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in 1962, Mallory decides to "go vintage" and return to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn't cheat on you online). She sets out to complete grandma's list: run for pep club secretary, host a dinner party, sew a homecoming dress, find a steady, do something dangerous. But the list is trickier than it looks. And obviously finding a steady is out . . . no matter how good Oliver (Jeremy's cousin) smells. But with the help of her sister, she'll get it done. Somehow.

My review:

Going Vintage is a book I would have loved as a teen. As an adult, I still think it is pretty fun though it does have some minor flaws. Part of what really makes this story work is Mallory's offbeat character and relationship with her supportive younger sister Ginnie. Even during the  few occasions when I was annoyed with Mallory's behavior, Ginnie was a positive presence. As a little sister, she is almost too good to be true! 

Mallory's desire to give up modern technology and live like a teen in the 1960s is both admirable and over the top. I liked that she found her grandmother inspirational even though she had a very unrealistic view of how it would have been to be a teenager in those times. Thankfully Mallory does learn a lesson from all of this and she grows because of it. I also appreciated that she mostly stuck with her decision and stayed away from technology even though it was very tempting.

There are some story lines that I thought wrapped up too quickly or neatly and I wish there had been more exploration of what young women's lives really would have been like in the 1960s but overall I thought this was a fun story. I liked Mallory and her family and the strong relationship between Mallory and her sister especially. I thought the romance was nice though Oliver was almost too perfect. It is good to see a nice guy character who doesn't fit the mold and I liked the development of his relationship with Mallory. 

This is a good book to read when you are in the mood for something light and quirky. I'd suggest Going Vintage to fans of Elizabeth Eulberg and those who enjoy lighthearted contemporary YA fiction. I enjoyed the story and plan to check out the author's other books.


Note: I received a copy for review courtesy of Netgalley




4 comments:

  1. As a an adult, I agree that this might be better for a teen. It still appealed to me but I wanted more. I'm glad we both liked Ginnie a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very quirky and fun! It's been a while since I read a fun YA contemporary title. Putting it on my to be read list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Christina! I also thought this book was a light read that was a lot of fun. My favorite character was Ginnie--loved her! You are right that certain plot lines were too good to be true, especially her relationship with Oliver; nonetheless, I thought it was a cute read. I am glad you enjoyed it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Sean Griswold's Head by the author, so I am looking forward to reading this one. I love the premise!

    ReplyDelete

Reading Extensively is now an award free blog. Thanks for stopping by! Please leave a comment. I enjoy receiving feedback! Due to increase in spam, I've enabled comment moderation. Sorry for any inconvenience!